Old 05-01-2011   #1
Fort Defiance, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1900
Hyside Mini Max

Anyone on here rowing a Hyside Mini Max? I am looking for a somewhat affordable lightweight raft for 1 person to go backpacker style. I love to Sotar 11 footer but the price is just too much. I've heard mixed reviews as to Hyside quality so I was wondering if anyone could vouch for their experiences.

Also, any pictures of people's rigs that they wanna share would be super helpful.

Finally, I heard a rumor that the new 2011ish hyside mini max's are made differently, with the same material etc. that was being used on the Rio Bravo series, and was wondering if anyone else had heard anything regarding that.

Thanks a ton in advance!

mattvogt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #2
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have a frame for my minie-me its shorter than the max. it was made out of old parts from a stern mount and other misc. bars. im sure you could hold enough gear and supplies for yourself easily. it would work for longer overnight trips if you where eating dehydrated foods. My friend rowed it down westwater and cataract canyons. she flipped it in little d , but was able to recover by herself without any help. it is very easy to flip it back over by yourself with a flip line. just need to bring your a-game for big water. i can find some pictures and send them at some point, i need to find my data card. hopefully that helps its a great ride and plan on doing high water on the poudre this year with it.

whitewatercaseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a 2009 Mini Max with a frame and I love it. Enough room for two, and can hold plenty of gear for one person overnights especially if you're going with others that are carrying group gear. Paddled it this weekend, and it was fun. it weighs about 50 lbs and fold up small enough that I am taking it to Belize to fish from. I have only used it for class III max, and the material is a bit thinner than the outfitter level boats, but no holes yet. sotars are probably more bomber.

That said, check out the used boats on Sotar's website- they have a few 10'ers with frame and oars for $2000. I'd get one of those if I were you.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #4
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Why not get a mini? Pleanty of room for one and gear. At 42 lbs. and a 14 lb. frame, 8 ft. oars it can be carried. Fun to row,tough little boats. I've got some pics on the buzz.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #5
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
My daughter (14 years old) rows a Mini-Max with a custom built frame. She loves it. Several multi day trips with it. Has done Westwater in it several times since getting it last fall. She will be running Desolation/Greys with it at peak flow this year. I can't wait to get in the front of her boat for Joe Hutch at what is supposed to be 30,000+ CFS! She absolutely loves it. She puts two to 4 friends on the boat so all the kids ride with her. It has a small Yeti cooler that we us for extra ice storage on long trips - about 4 blocks and then as the ice gets used in the other coolers the kids have room for drinks and snacks.

Two other friends are running Mini-Max with oar frames and they love them for personal rafts with gear on week long trips. They have done Yampa and Cataract trips with them. The Mini-Max make great paddle crew boats and are easy to haul into the Gunny Gorge. Much more stable than the Mini-Me. I equate them to the sports cars of the raft world. Like all Hysides they are built to last and stand up to a good beating. Sadly they went up in price by about $600 - $700 this year...
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #6
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I paddled some for an outfitter last year. They are great paddle boats, especially in low water, but in my opinion they (ours) are not as durable or as well built as the outfitter(especially the older ones) series. The hypalon rubstrake started peeling off of one after a handfull of trips, but they could have been abused. I have heard some stories about quality issues with their shredders in the last year or two, and they also seem to be a bit lighter/thinner than most hypalon. I have a friend with a 10' sotar and it is the sh$t! well worth the extra $, they have some on closeout for around $2400.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #7
Carbondale, Colorado
How has the oar frame on your mini max worked out? I have used mine as a paddle raft for 5 years and am thinking to add the frame now. Can you please send a photo or dimension etc. to help guide me in buying a frame for my max?

ARLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #8
Carbondale, Colorado
Can you please send me dimensions, photos or any other advice to help me buy a frame for my 2008 mini max?

ARLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #9
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I have a 13.5 lb. frame and seat on my mini-me. Carry it into the gunny on a regular basis. If you are interested call me at 970 874 5737.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #10
Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975

Hey Guys,

We've lowered the price of the Mini-Max, it's now going for $2526. We are sold out right now (I do have some Mini-me's), but will have some Blue, Yellow and (2) Green coming in October! Price might go up next year due to raw materials/labor costs, but we are doing everything we can to keep the price down. We will most likely have a Retail special for those who Pre-Season for 2013, so stay tuned..

Thanks for choosing HYSIDE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123SBUone.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	5014  

Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote