Old 04-16-2009   #11
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1967

Thymol To Toluene And Toluene - Cole-Parmer Catalog[
Cole Palmer Sells Toluene
$39.10 a liter

A friend just gave me an old Campways 14' hypalon raft. It needs a variety of minor repairs, and then I'll start modifying/customizing the frame for my uses. Right now, though I need to apply a few patches over spots where the frame meets the tubes and has caused serious wear, and I want to glue down a few loose edges on a variety of spots. The boat holds air, though there might be some minor leaks, I'll search for those later.

I've got Clifton Hypalon adhesive and appropriate patch material. Some instructions I've read call for cleaning the surface with toluene, another I ran across said cleaning with alcohol was sufficient. What's the real story here? I'd rather not work with toluene if I don't have to, but I'll strap on an organics mask and do it if it really makes a difference.[/quote]

plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #12
Rio Rancho, 871124
Paddling Since: 2003
thanks Calandar16

Originally Posted by calendar16 View Post
I agree with Spankey, that Jack's Plastic instruction was making me schizophrenic...

Never done a patch myself but I read the NRS instructions before I go to bed and when I wake up daily so that I remember how when you need it most...making flash cards helps too...

NRS instructions...hope this helps...

NRS - Hypalon Repair Instruction
OK, now thats some instructions. I am printing it and it will say with my glue just in case I don't remember or have a question it will be there.
Thanks again Calandar16

how old can glue be and still work? last years glue? is it still OK. How will the ranger know when I bought it? I think safty first so I guess buying new glue each year would be wise but how do I know how old the glue I bought already is?

Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #13
C. Springs, Colorado
The only thing I do different from Matt J is I use low heat from a heat gun as I'm rolling it. I also reroll the patch or D-ring I'm installing several times in the first few hours of installing. Good luck and use Clifton glue for best results on Hypolon.

If the glues been unopen it should last at least a year or two. Most have shelf life printed on the label. Stabond hardener is one product I've found to go bad in a short amount of time. If the clear jar of hardener that comes with it is dark in color, don't buy it. It needs to be light brown and clear, not cloudy.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #14
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
One other thing - re-roll the patch about 1-2 hours after applying it. It helps. Also if it is cool when you are patching a blow dryer can help heat up the glue on the patch and on the boat before applying the patch.

Most painting stores sell Toulene along with the other solvents like acetone, mek, paint thinner, etc.
I keep my hair drier in my dry bag so if if I flip it won't get wet. Ha!
"I hope others think more of me than I think of myself" SL
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #15
Albuquerque, New Mexico
videos of patching

Some video links of patching on youtube

building a raft/boat with glue

maybe Jack at Jacks Plastic Welding will send in a video of how they hot air weld their tubes together and how they RF ( radio frequency) weld the "D" rings, handles and logo's on. I've seen it and it is most impressive. Nice guy that Jack is.
"I hope others think more of me than I think of myself" SL
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #16
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I am working on a ducky and trying to remove the foot pegs and put them further down the tube. I was able to get the holsters off with a dryer. I am in the cleaning stage and am wondering what the best way to get the existing glue off to prepare the surface.

I bought some shore adhesive before reading this and was wondering what people thought of it before I go out and get some Clifton glue. I am just making glueing the holsters back on and not making repairs.

Any thoughts?

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote