Old 03-26-2013   #1
San Francisco, California
How many of you carry Z-Drag Kit at all times?

As the title says, how many of you float with a z-drag kit at all times? I am planning a self-support multiday trip with the family this summer, and am wondering if I should purchase a kit in case of pinning the boat. The stretch of the river I am floating will have very little chance of pinning, but I don't want to take a chance. Even with a kit, I will not be able to self-rescue and will need people to help.

How many rafters have used the kit to rescue their raft? Is it a mulst? Or wait for help in the worst case scenario?

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Take good rescue gear and a zKit. And know how to use it, you never know when you might need to help out someone else.

Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
I carry a small kit (biners, pulleys and lots of hoopie straps) in my kayak with a 75 foot hi strength throw bag rope.

In the raft a larger kit with more and bigger pulleys and more hoopie tape to set up the raft attachment and a 200 ft lo stretch rappel rope for the pull rope.

waiting for help is not a good solution but if it happens be thankful.

I recommend finding a class or working with a seasoned rafter and setting up various scenarios and rigs just for fun.

I have done lots of pin rescues of kayaks and the throw rope is generally all you need.

Done a few with rafts and it is a lot more difficult to set up and good help and lots of gear is needed.

I recommend several people have pin kits so they can be combined. Especially true of kayaks. In rafts same deal.

Reason being if you are not lucky the boat with the single pin kit will be the one that gets pinned.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #4
San Francisco, California
I am planning to take river rescue courses for both personal safety and for those who might need help along the way. Fortunately, I have never been in a situation where I or others needed a rescue. But, I don't want to assume that I'd never run into such situation.

My line of thinking is that Z-Drag kit is really to help others. By the time, if my boat ever gets pinned, the kit is probably useless unless I carry it on my back or something. I have always carried plenty of binners and ropes, but now that I am running a 16' raft with children, I need to up the game.

For those who do self-supported multiday trips, I am wondering what you carry as a rescue tool for the worst case scenario?
verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I keep a mini kit with me at all time, and a full size one on rafting multidays. Two years ago I used my mini one to get someone on a cat off some rocks on a low water MF. She was just super stuck, and had a floor in her cat which significantly handicapped our ability to move it without using a Z.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #6
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I carry pulley's biners and prussic in my pfd. I've tried waist throw bags but they didn't do the trick. I may try a pfd throw bag this year as well. If I pin and someone else has a throw bag, I can setup a z-drag. If someone else pins I've got everything. For a raft there is no reason not to carry a full z-drag on the boat, and possibly a quick and dirty version on your person.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #7
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I carry one, and we usually carry at least two within our group. Haven't had to use it yet, but I prefer to be prepared. We haven't set up a system for fun in awhile, so that's something we should do this summer. Good layover day group activity.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #8
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
The only time I don't carry a unpin kit is when I am doing the park and play thing. It seams like I break it out once a year on average. Usually to help other groups. I'm sure my turn is right around the next bend!
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #9
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
We carry them on 98% of trips, or at least a smaller version of one. The 2% being like Ruby Horsethief and Escalante (canyon Not creek) trips.
Known Cairn Hater

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #10
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I carry one on all trips. Haven't had to use it yet. I set mine up every year in the yard just to make sure I remember how to use it.

tczues is offline   Reply With Quote