Old 04-02-2013   #31
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
I read someone's post on another forum once that read, "let's be honest, z drags are almost always about recovery, not rescue".

BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #32
Jenks, Oklahoma
Been boating for several decades, always carry a pin kit.

KSC is correct about kayaks and canoes, most of the time push or pull works. On one kayak we had a rope on it and could not move it. I went up the bank maybe 20 feet higher and a light pull freed the kayak. But you never know.

For sure have used z drag to free raft pins. Seems that is the most used. On rafts you got to tie off to the frame or do a equalizing setup to distribute force. Also seen Z drags used to reflip a upside down big gear raft next to shore.

My take is have the pin kit and hope you won't need it. But, seems to me that when you need a pin kit, you really do need them.

And yup, rare that a z drag setup is used to rescue a person, but when you are in the middle of a wilderness run and your gear is on a pinned raft, sure is nice to get that raft free.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #33
Seattle, Washington
Had a buddy pin an IK in Jarbidge Falls. A self support packed IK is pushing 150lbs, and the push/pull method just doesn't always work.

So, yes, I carry one 100% of the time. I've used it lots and lots of times.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have some basic pin kit and boat repair gear on you every trip, you are a liability. It is inevitable over time that you'll need a screw, a wrench, a valve tool, a replacement drainplug, tear aid for a ripped neck gasket or a z drag to free a boat.

I'm not advocating you carry 20lbs of gear on a 2 mile day tip. But you should ALWAYS have the basics with you. If you don't, you are not self-reliant.

Experience and skill with jury rigging can eliminate a lot of gear clutter.

But yes, I always carry a pin and repair kit every single day I'm in a boat. Like a throw rope or pfd, it is not optional gear.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #34
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Even with a z drag, in most cases it was the right angle which did it not a massive amount of leveraged force.

Also think of which corner of the raft you can deflate to take some pressure off the raft. That in combo with the brake on the z-drag keeping steady pressure and letting the water do it's pulse thing is more helpful than brute force.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #35
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I just finished up my pin kit today and want to keep enough materials on my body to remove my own gear if it gets pinned. I got the 50' rope with the 70' in the boat, the webbing, slings and carabiners, but just got the pulleys today. I would like to keep 3-4 locking biners, 2-15' pieces of webbing and 2-1" pulleys on my person in addition to the rope..... my question is, where do people keep their pulley's? I put the carabiners through them and stuck them in my back 2 pockets on my Green Jacket (don't really want them in the front pocket).... but it seems like there should be a better way to carry them... thanks.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #36
Salida, Colorado
I just keep it in the bottom of my personal dry bag with spare apparel. I raft. Seems like I use it every 2-3 yrs or so. Usu during highwater runoff.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #37
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Logan, I carry enough to set up a basic 3:1 on my person. I keep a nylon pulley wheel, locking biner and Prussic in the side pocket of me green jacket, with a 65ft spectra bag around my waist with a 15ft length of webbing and a 2nd locker.

The green jacket has some much space for you to be able to carry as much as you need, I would caution you about overloading yourself with too much rigging equipment on your person. Carabiners work just fine in place of pulleys for removing a pinned kayak, the pulley just makes for a smoother pull.
DoubleYouEss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #38
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I also carry a Gerber folding saw in my kit- handy for wood and will cut a kayak apart if needed.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #39
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
What are folks using for static ropes? Has anyone found a good 9mm static rope?

more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote