Old 03-26-2013   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I always carry a pin kit. Minus the rope. I have used throw bags to unpin two rafts and a canoe. None of them mine btw. We broke a throw bag rope on Blossom Bar on the Rogue and I took a rope to the side of my helmet. I was lead guy on the rope and insisted on a life jacket damper in the middle of the rope and I wore my helmet or I might not be here.

Now two or three of my buddies have rescue ropes so we don't have to use throw bags.

If you carry one - practice.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #12
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I carry one on almost every trip except for Loma, Lab, Dominguez, upper c and the Gunny.

WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #13
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I don't have one but will be putting something together this year. I the past, someone In our group always had 1 and knowing that, it was not at the top of my list. Now that I have an aluminum covered boat that the rubber alone ways 200 lbs, it is at the top of my river list. All that said it also depends on your trips and how remote they are. Be safe and dampen your lines like carve said if you do start creating massive force by way of leverage.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #14
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I carry at least one on every trip. Typically we have two per trip because the boat with the pin kit is always the boat to get pinned.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #15
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I have two - one for kayaking and one for the raft. One is present on all river trips at all times.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #16
Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1970
Last weekend-Salt River-encountered 3 rafts stuck on rocks & one wrap (3 other groups). Had to use the Z three times, on the wrap of course, stuck on rocks + we used it to flip the wrap-raft back over in a tight eddy. Everyone was ok. Still cost us three hours. We had 3 boats in our group - happy to help. What's up with the 3's, huh ? Don't leave home with out that Z-kit !!
Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #17
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I always have my kit in my quick access bag that has my pump and patch kit plus what ever else I like to have handy. Even on a easy section of river, boats get pinned pretty good. Think about how many times a boat gets pinned on a bridge on the upper C.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #18
Durango, Colorado
I carry one on most backcountry trips depending on river size, flow, boats, crew etc. Last time I used it I pulled a wrapped canoe off a rock in the Goosenecks of the San Juan at Honaker. They repaired the boat and went on their way. Kit includes several prusiks, pulleys, biners, tubular webbing loops with water knots for anchors.
greenwater780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #19
SYOTR, Tennessee
Why would you not carry one?
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #20
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Originally Posted by ouachita View Post
Why would you not carry one?
I dont carry one cause I run a sotar raft.Wrapped them before and cut the webbing on the floor and they come off like a cat. Saves hrs or even days. I would never own any sealed floor for that reason.
I usually bring a pin kit on multi day trips but with an arborist rope, seen a few throwbag ropes snap.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote