Old 12-01-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Homemade Barrel Pump

Has anyone made a barrel pump from hardware store components? I have not been able to find plans or any information on this. It seams like it should be really easy and cheaper than the $200 commercial pumps.

Shcooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #2
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
Double Action Hand Pump :

-> cheap alternative that would probably work, or be able to be modified to work

hope this helps

CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #3
Groveland, California
All the fittings seem to be commercially available PVC....I think the problem would be finding a valve/seal assembly that would work.

I ran into this guy at the American River Festival earlier this year. Very nice, looks like a good product, and have heard good reviews of his work......pricing is also considerably less than Carlson, etc.

Wild Water Pumps | Our Products
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
I have used the campmor pump before to blow up some small fishing cat tubes...would not recomend them for anything more than those (or even those).

Shcooner I tried to to make a pump last summer and decided that it was not worth trying to make one. That being said I am not the best at designing those sort of things. Best of luck and I would be interested to see what you come up with (picts, etc)
There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I dont think it would be all that hard. You just need PVC, one way valves, a hose and some sort of glue that would work well. But when i looked into it the parts still added up to over 50$. I just didnt want to invest the little money i have into something that may or may not work.

If you could figure it out then it would be nice to be able to make a pump whatever size and shape you want.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
I made one years ago from thick wall 4" PVC (too thick), a couple of end caps. The one-way valve is a flap of innertube rubber over a hole. The plunger is a T made of smaller PVC with a seal plate at the bottom. The seal plate is 2 1/8" aluminum disks sandwiching a thick rubber disk cut to be a tight fit inside the 4" tube. Grease it up good with silicone grease. It works fine but it's pretty heavy and my friend never trusted it fully so he got a real pump. It was cheap but took a while to put together.
I can dig it out of the heap and take some photos if you are still game on building.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
I would like to see those pictures if you get a chance. It could give me some good ideas at least.
Shcooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
I got a wild water pump at the beginning of the season - it was definitely a cheaper alternative to Carlson, and has been working flawlessly. Highly recommended.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I agree that $200 seems like a ton of cash for what it is. The real trouble is in the details and getting the right parts. If you knew exactly what you were looking for, where to find it, and how to assemble it $50 would probably cover it.

If you have military valves remember that you need to prevent air from escaping the boat on the return pump stroke - a check valve - or it is almost impossible to get up to pressure. Leafield valves do this on their own.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #10
Salt Lake City, Utah
I bought a nice barrell pump at the ogden gear swap this past spring. the guy i bought it from had about 6 of them there for sale for $100 a piece. (I'm pretty sure he was from boise) the pump is just as good as nrs/carlson,etc. I'm going to try and dig up this guy's info. i feel it was $100 well spent. the pump says "Extreme" on the side....although it looks quasi-homemade.

TheCanyonWren is offline   Reply With Quote

barrel, cheep, homemade, pump