Old 06-30-2009   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Home-Built Gear=Good Gear

These are a few of my summer projects to help cut the cost of expensive gear and fill some free time between work and the river. I built a 3 bay frame out of top-rail fencing pipe, and speed rail fittings from I speced the frame as large as possible to my 13 Hyside, to mainly haul gear on multi-days because I would much rather run a paddle boat otherwise. The frame came out to cost something around $300, which is relatively cheap compared to buying a frame.

My next project was a Table/Seat/Backboard. The table/seat I built is made from pine with cross lap joints underneath for strength and warp prevention. For the legs I used inch galvanized steel plumbers pipe that are attached to the table with flanges. The legs are stored underneath the table when it is on the frame. Finally the entire table is coated with spar urethane to waterproof the wood.

The last small project I did was with scrap wood from the table, it is what I guess I would call a frame caddy for convenience and beer down prevention on long flat water days. The Caddy has a small compartment underneath the base for sunglasses, lighters, and other goodies and still needs a cup holder and ashtray on top of the base. The caddy sits on the side rail in between the oar mounts and seat.

Home build gear is cheap and is fun to make. These projects took me quite a long time to complete, with hours waiting for UPS and FedEx, handfuls of trips to home depot and local river shops, lots of measuring and re-measuring, and most importantly reading pages and pages of this forum for instruction and ideas. Without the buzz I would have struggled through this rig, and that is why Im posting this.

P.S.-Im sorry of the Pictures are all really big Im still trying figure it out.

Targos_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #2
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Nice work. How much does the table weigh?

Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
On a similar topic:

There, I Fixed It.

An example:

Spare tire>
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #4
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Looks plenty stout. Plus you can change the set-up for different loads and trips. Good job. I agree about the fun of building yourself.

The fittings look like Kee-Klamps, heavy-duty galvanised steel. I used 'em for my first cat frame and then shifted to the SpeedRail aluminum type, which save a bit of weight and cost more. But one of our favorite runs has a steep carry to the river. Makes the lighter stuff seem worth the $$.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #5
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977

Grif's remodel
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #6
loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Gotta love Mountain Buzz...lots of good ideas. Nice work on the bench and frame. The nice part is, since you built it, if something doesn't work right, you make changes to 'tweak' the design. Even better, you have enough money left that you can afford to go rafting.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #7
Calgary, Alberta
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post

Grif's remodel
That is AWESOME! Is that a hot-tub on the upper deck?
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #8
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Did you get permission from Grif to show his houseboat?

Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post

Grif's remodel
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #9
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I love that pic ... reminds me of home
Back in Thibodaux folks would build a platform on floating oil drums then build a shack (fishing camp) on top so it will rise and fall with the level of the swamp
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
now thats a houseboat! or hydro engineering! lol

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote