Old 07-01-2009   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Table weights about 35-40 pounds but only cost me about $90 which is pretty good seeing as it does just as well as my buddies $220 table from NRS.

But what can I say Grif is quite the handy man, now thats a rig! But I don't think the red tank on top is a hot tub, I'm pretty sure that were he stores all the turkey legs and schlitz.

Targos_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #12
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Go Grif!

On the way into Chico Hot Springs on the Yellowstone River in Montana is a graveyard of lost trailers. There's a big single-wide right next to the road with oil drums welded underneath down the whole length.

Wonder if it ever got launched?

If America isn't a weird dream, what is it?

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #13
Edwards, Colorado
Gotta like a workshop/garage with a couple of kegs in it. I've been thinking about building a simple table as well, been shopping the Thrifty store for a trashed folding table I could scavenge legs off of. The pipe/flange program looks easy enough, how"s the stability without any bracing? And as I'm not much of a woodworker, any reason a piece of plywood wouldn't work? Other than the obvious lack of aesthetics, of course.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #14
Durango, Colorado
The Pipe/Flange set up is pretty sturdy when it is on soft malleable ground like sand, grass, dirt, etc. but it does wiggle a bit on concrete......although I don't how often I'll use the table on concrete I'm not much of a "tailgater".

The downside of the pipe/flange set up is the added weight of steel, but it really isn't that bad. I'm all about the "reuse" idea but if you can't find an old table to salvage the legs, I saw a thread on the Buzz about pre-fab legs from these guys:

:: Ebco Products Corp - Table Legs & Folding Legs ::

I've also seen tables using the legs from Roll-a-table and T-nuts and that seems to work pretty well.

As for using plywood It should work fine but I wouldn't use OSB and probably go with 3/4" if its going to double as a seat. If the Plywood is regular exterior plywood then you will need to waterproof it to prevent warping or you could use marine plywood but I still may coat that too. You can do this with epoxy or spar urethane (like I did), if you go with epoxy then you will need to coat it with a UV protectant because the epoxy is not UV sturdy.

Nevertheless, I'm not much of a woodworker myself except for taking wood shop in high school. But there are plenty of small projects much like mine on the Buzz that can help you with yours, it just takes a little bit of digging and maybe some stupid questions here and there.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2009   #15
stove stand

This is my first welding project and it turned out very well, and was simple to put together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove 1.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1734   Click image for larger version

Name:	stove 2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1735  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stove 3.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1736  
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #16
Durango, Colorado
Thats a job well done boatman, I like how the legs are angled for more stability. Learning to weld is next on my list, its a skill that is very versatile and seems to be pretty fun.