Old 09-19-2008   #1
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Hola Paco!

I was gonna post that it ain't a Paco Pad unless Paco (i.e. you, dba Jack's Plastic Welding) makes it. But then you came roaring in like the wrath of God.

Yor spelin ain't impruved much, amigo.

To get in touch with a poster on the Buzz, click on the name to the left of the post. That'll take you to their profile. Select send private message from the menu thingie. Be nice. . .

Shall I repeat the tale that Nancy told me about how you got the nickname?

muchos cojones,

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
did one of the power trippin admins take that last thread down about the paco pads? oops is said paco... is that like saying bomb on an airplane?

i wanted to read the nastiness that jack was throwing down again. he is losing much business to maravia on the "paco" pad business and i think he is alittle upset.

Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #3
longmont, Colorado
I recently bought a Sotar pad when they were on sale. The maravia pad is too long for me, and sotar was a nice size and price.
burros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #4
SE, Wyoming
Very mysterious. . .

Jah, mon— dat were very mysterious.

I clicked on the thread and it came up, but when I tried to post a reply it told me I didn't have authorization (or whatever), and then when I tried to view it on the Commercial list, I got the same shitaree. So there's someone bumping around behind the curtain.

Jack is a friend of mine, going on 25 years or so, and I own four sets of JPW cat tubes and a historic Paco Pad (made in Logan, Utah). And we did a Grand trip a few years ago. So I'm pretty f-ing biased.

His designs have been knocked off by former friends and not long ago his web address was pirated by some Chinese skanks (who are probably building inflatables with slave labour for his competitors). So he's not getting rich like some, and probably feeling mildly paranoid now and then. Like when some clueless bugger proposes to sell custom "Paco Pads" on the web. Wonder how he found out about the custom Paco Pad deal? Not through me. But I don't blame him for getting pissed.

And, yeah, he can't spell for shit. But he's a good mate and an amazing boatman. I saw him pull off stuff in small boats (Fat Pack Cat & Cutthroat) on the Grand that really made me envy his hard-earned ability and his incredible instinct for the way water moves.

That's my rant for the evening—

Old 09-19-2008   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So there's someone bumping around behind the curtain.
Here's the scoop: We had what seemed like a pretty obvious case of trademark infringement, and Jack requested the offending party cease and desist. Since the settings are such that the thread starter couldn't delete it anymore, the the thread was pulled. Like any time someone asks to have something pulled, or something seems out of line, it got kicked around behind the curtain and the consensus was that it would be better for both parties if the thread was pulled. A PM was sent to both guys letting them know what was up and asking they work it out elsewhere.

The Buzz doesn't need to be a place where someone gets sued trying to make a buck and, without realizing the significance of what he's doing, uses a trade name to describe what he's selling. In this case that trade name's for a product that's taken years of hard work by a fellow boater trying to make a living at what he loves, who's finally been successful enough that "Paco Pad" has become the common, generic name for the heavy-duty sleeping pads most boaters use (hell, I've got one too). Jack and the other guy can either settle it off the Buzz or just let it go. Hopefully it'll be the latter.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #6
SE, Wyoming
The Wiz speaks—
Old 09-20-2008   #7
C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks for the explanation Andy.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #8
SE, Wyoming
Second that, Wiz— you have a decent perspective and I appreciate the explanation.