Old 06-18-2010   #11
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Dagger Mamba is very comfy, fast, very easy to roll, and it even surfs! I do like the round displacement boats for some stuff, but the Mamba is hard to beat. I have watched many boaters who have struggled in other boats have rapid growth in skills and confidence in the boat. My wife paddles one and I steal it on occasion due to its comfort and speed.

Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010   #12
Lyons, Colorado
If you weigh in at 180, you might find the Villain to be a bath tub. Try the Villain S. I weigh 200 and thought the Villain was HUGE.

loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010   #13
The Bitterroot, Montana
another vote for the Mamba. the boat wants to be right side up, easy to roll and gets up to speed WAY faster than a creek boat.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010   #14
loveland, Colorado

Paddled an H3 few years ago and loved it. Great river runner with good speed and power. Don't know if a creeker would suit you depending on what rivers you usually paddle. Of course Clear Creek is enjoyable with a creek boat. I have a Jefe which bombs through everything but is slower off the paddle than a runner. I like it because it is very comfortable. If you paddle a Jefe and like it PM me as I don't much paddle the IV+ creeks anymore. Might be willing to part with it.
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #15
Divide, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Check out the Remix by Liquidlogic. Various Volumes for weight. Mostly Displaced hull, so it has speed. The Futa guides in Chile like these in big water.
jill tip
j.tipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #16
tried to rent the hero this weekend from confluence to try on the ark and when I went down to pick it up all they had was the villain. so I took it. yes it was like a bath tub. way to big. not even enjoyable. my buddy had his fluid solo small and I tried it and liked it. has anyone had any experience with this company? the boat rolled easy and paddle nice. I'm wondering if I should size up or stay with a small?
shelby_climbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #17
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd have to think the medium is the ticket at 180#

I have a friend with a large and the thing does creeks and large volume runs well and has room for overnight gear to boot. It is built to handle class 5 and it's pretty heavy. That's not necessarily a problem.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #18
Vail, Colorado
What a list! Everyone has an opinion on all of those boats listed. The best thing is to paddle as many as you can so you can have your own opinion on these boats.
Dagger- Awesome boats! The Nomad rivals the Jefe as the best-selling creeker. However they havent been changed in the last eight or so years and they leak like sieves

Jackson- New, innovative designs and colors and lots of testing. However the bean bag seat is a poor excuse for good outfitting and the bulkheads do not have a true rigid main pillar. Also Jacksons boats are known to be top heavy

Liquid Logic- Awesome boats! The Remix is so fast and forgiving, the Jefe a creeking staple. However, the plastics on these boats does not seem to be as sturdy as others.

Pyranha-THE NEW BURN IS AWESOME!!! It is the predecessor to the H3 and is such a fun boat. Really fast, stable and easy to roll.

If you are in the Vail Valley, stop by Alpine Quest Sports. We have the the Hero, Villian, Nomad, Remix, Burn and Jefe in most all of the sizes offered for demo.
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #19
Got a nomad and love it. I weigh about 180 and I went with 8.5. Gives me some extra room if I want to do overnights.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #20
Lyons, Colorado
While we're throwing out every possible boat out there, I've heard a lot of good things about the Diesel and the Habitat.
The guy at Confluence that sold me my Nomad paddles a Hero and loves it.
There's a lot of crossover between the river runners and the creekers. If you're not doing class V creeks exclusively or overnighters, a river runner might be fine.

loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote