Old 05-22-2010   #31
Jenks, Oklahoma

Been following this thread since the very begining

If you like the Remix, buy it or keep on borrowing it and get on the water

Also, you get zero symphathy from me about living in Chicago and no water. Try Oklahoma where I live for a scarcity of kayak water or dealers.

Since you have plenty of free time, why not drive to NOC close to Bryson City NC. They have all makes of kayaks and you can demo there at the store play wave all you want at no cost. They also have used boats for sale. There is free camping around the area
or National Forest camp sites close by. You can also run the Nanty which is a great training run or demo run as well.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Another boat you might want to think about is the Dagger Mamba. i just bought one last summer and it is extremely comfortable, im also pretty sure that there are a few for sale on here.

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #33
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Posts: 453 could move to Colorado! Sucks that you can't demo boats. At this point I have to agree that you should just get a boat and get on the water (if you can find some). I do have to say that 40 IS NOT OLD!!! Ha! Not all of us are spring chickens. The more you boat, the more comfortable you will be. However, you will probably not be really comfortable for a while in any boat. If you are, it's probably too big. You also might want to try yoga. It really helps with the comfort aspect.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #34
Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 08
Thank you

Yeah 40 is the new 30 right ??? I am just going to buy a Remix to start. I do agree with you that I should just get Paddlin !!! The more practice the better... I hope you are having fun on the rivers in CO.
hopman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #35
ashland, Oregon
this is no doubt a case of 'as young as you feel'. I'm 55 and get in at least 100 days a year.
I didn't start until I was 45 (kids off to college). And with the nature of paddling what it is
(time consuming) It seems the people I boat with are either in their 20's or late 40's and 50's. True, I'm not paddling the gnar but lots of class 4 (good enough for me). One of the great aspects of boating is adventure can be found at all levels of ability. No more so then when starting out. It does help live where there is some whitewater though.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #36
Aurora, Colorado
The older I get, the better life gets! A lot less worries!

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote