Old 05-18-2010   #21
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
I paddle a super hero and love it, but I'm a firm believer in its not the boat its the paddler.

I completely agree with Goldcamp here, the type of boat will help some, but how well the boat performs greatly depends on the paddler's skill set. As you stick with the sport and are always finding ways to improve and learn something new on the river, ;whether it's a brand new run to you, the pool, or a run that you've done many times, there's ALWAYS something new to be learned each time you put on a river/pool, which will lead to an improved individual paddling ability, and an improved skill set and confidence overall.)

I've paddled a Hero for 3 years now, and Love it! I have not paddled a remix on a river, I've only messed around in it in a pool.

If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid to get it cut off.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #22
Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 08
Thank You Folks

Well based on the wonderful feedback I have had from everyone I think I will go for the Hero. Deep down inside I really want the Remix, (love that Bad Ass outfitting ), and the really forgiving hull wich I'm sure saved my ass a few times when I paddled it, but at $600.00, I really cannot pass that up, as another Person said on their reply, save youre money, meaning buy the Jackson and put it towards some other equipment, PDF, Float bags ect ect. And I can always sell it somewhere down the road. I'm a begginer and do not have health insurance so I will probably never paddle anything over class 3-4 anyways, LOL. How Bad could the shorter Hero get tossed around, ( alot according to Nick Wigston ) LOL, ...

Once again thank's to everyone who posted a reply.

hopman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #23
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
LOL, Nick! Gonna have to talk to Melissa and get you out kayaking. The remix is far from a better boat then the hero. Yes the remix is faster, that is all.

As for the Jackson only making playboats? I'm pretty sure they have the heaviest down river kayakers on the planet (Ben, Chris, Darin, ect). So unless they're putting Jackson stickers over other boats, I think you need to look again.

Hero is an awesome series of kayaks, buy that boat you won't be sorry.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #24
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I have a nearly brand new pink Super Hero for sale - $600.

Gary did you get in a Villian yet? I'm smitten.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #25
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Yeah the villian is awesome. Super fast and punches big cali holes like they aren't there. Takes a few days to get used to it coming from the hero.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #26
Chicago, Illinois
Ok here we go again

I was stoked to buy the Hero although I have never sat in or paddled one, just based on all of youre feedback ( thanks everyone ), however I went to meet the guy that had the Hero for sale today and I sat in it and just could not get comfortable. Remember I'm 40 yrs old, and their just was not enough support in the Backband for my old bones. I paddled a Remix and could sit in that boat all day as I did on a visit to the Carolinas last summer. Plus the Uni shock bulkhead provided my virtually no room to move my feet, ( I'm only 5'10, 155, size 12 shoe ). So although the Jackson looks really sweet and I'm sure it performs fabulously on the water, I'm holding out for a Remix just for the comfort of the Badass outfitting and a little more foot room. Again nothing to do with performance as I have never paddled a Hero so I cannot comment. However I will say this for the Remix's performance, I am totally new to the sport as of last summer, and I paddled class 2-3 and never swam, even my instructor was impressed, I managed to roll a few times as well, never nailed it however I did roll. Also got to have a couple of PBR's with Woody as we made a stop by his house because my instructor was friends with him, he was a very very nice guy.

TIME TO BUY THE REMIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2010   #27
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sorry to hear that. The first time I tried to sit in a sidekick, I couldn't even get into the boat. However, I then learned that the seat can go way back, the bulkhead can move way forward, and the hip pads are easily adjusted. I'm not saying that you made a bad decision, I'm just curious if you tried these things before you decided it didn't fit. The Remix is a great boat (so I'm told). I'm not real familiar, but does that boat have a strictly displacement hull without edges? That might be something that you want to think about before you spend the $. There are a lot of boats out there, so you don't have to settle on the Remix just because it fit. I would still demo some boats if you can. UNLESS, you find a killer deal. Happy hunting!
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #28
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
both are very good boats, and both will take care of a beginner well past not being one anymore. I paddle a Remix on creeks, rivers and self-support trips and I have friends that do the same in Heros (Well super heros). All boat designs compromise some aspects to enhance others. In the end it usually comes down to the amount of time you spend in the boat. (ie if the boats are designed for the same purpose and they fit you) Get one and get on the water and don't look back
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #29
The Bitterroot, Montana
BUY A MAMBA... same idea, better boat.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #30
Chicago, Illinois
Yes I definately tried to adjust the hip pads and what not, I just could not get comfy, I just turned 40 this week and would really like a comfortable roomy boat and the Remix was all of that.

It stinks living in Chicago as there is nowhere to demo Whitewater Boats. We only have one whitewater river in Illinois ( the Vermillion ) which is pretty much dried up by July. Time for me to move. I need a change in my life, I'm citied out, plus having no wife and or kids and no job currently will make it an easy move to wherever I go LOL