Old 03-28-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Help with 2 person duckie

I am looking for a 2 person duckie that could do 2-3 day trips on class III. I was wondering if anyone had one or could suggest a one thats sturdy with a decent amount of room. I tend toward the Hysides, just because the are so crazy stable and my better half feels more comfortable in them. Does anyone know anything about the Hyside 165RBS.....they call it the two-and-a-half man IK on their site, as it is 13' 6".

Any suggestions would be helpful.

huckleberry182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #2
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Tell me you're not planning on putting gear and people in that ducky for 2-3 day trips....

I like the hyside 2 man duck. We used to put one person in the very front and another in the very back and we called it "The Noodle!" You and your wife might have more fun in individual ducks. In my experience, the Rio Bravo series from Hyside is quite a bit cheaper, and still pretty nice. Aire duckies can be really stable too.

You might consider a "Mini-me" from hyside for 2 people. The Rio Bravo version of this is only about $1400 and is a great way for two people to paddle....

Rocky Mountain Adventures in Fort Collins has a Hyside 2-man ducky you can rent if you want to give one a spin.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #3
Denver, Colorado
Randaddy - Thx for your reply....I was hoping to be able to do an overnight (1 night) in a duckie....and the reason I was wondering about the 165RBS in particular is because of the size....I was looking for someone who has actually used it to see if it was big enough to do 2 nights of gear, etc.....The mini me is definitely the next option.....anyone got a mini-me for sale? lol
Old 03-28-2008   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Help with 2 person duckie

The Seaeagle 380x would fit your criteria. I've taken mine on III- overnights w/ gear (2 people) and IV- without gear (solo). Can toggle self-bailing, so you can stay up and out of the water when you want to.
MikeSLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #5
Denver, Colorado
Thanks Mike, good suggestion........does anyone else have experience with the Seaeagle 380x?
Old 03-28-2008   #6
Tucson, Arizona
I also have a sea eagle and is had worked awesome. I think is has a 750 pound max load , so even with 2 people there is still alot of room for gear. they also come with some gear bags that attach to the boat that zip up and store alot of gear where you normally couldn't put stuff. The boat has handled real well in a variety of conditions from the ocean to a class 4 run we did.
Take care, Vinny
goatsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #7
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Jack's Cutthroat

The Jack's Plastic Welding 2-person Cutthroat can be set up for two people with lightweight gear, is way stable, and can be paddled by two or rowed by one without major adjustment to the rig.

I rowed a single-seat Cutthroat through parts of the Grand Canyon, where I'd have been scared to venture in a duckie. Seriously great boat!

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote