Old 07-03-2013   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Help please with my creekboat

I previously posted about the wavesport diesel 75 given to my dad. The boat came without a bulkhead, basically with only the plastic base plates(see picture attached). I was generously given some foam to help out with my problem, but I feel as though I am still missing something. I personally have a playboat and have used it since I first began kayaking, so I don't understand as much about the mechanics of the creek boat/river runner, however I have seen pictures of bulkheads, and they generally have the foam pillar in the middle of the bow go all the way from the cockpit to the front of the bow. This one only goes until the base plates(as seen in picture) If anybody could help me out by explaining how to cut/put this foam this foam that I was given on the plates or if there is anything else I am missing, it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	6571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	6572  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	6573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	6574  

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This might help:

How to Outfit your New Creek Boat - Wave Sport

I am not sure I get your description completely, but if I remember that outfitting first determine placement (which set of screws on the siderails) of the bulkhead for length including foam. Then make adjustments to the middle pillar if you have to. Next you should be able to pull that bulkhead completely out and glue foam onto it outside the boat so you can shape it and secure it correctly.

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Ya my dad got the boat from a client of his but it didn't have any foam to come with it to put ontop of the base plates. I was only worried about getting the foam to set on top of it until today when I realized that the base plates probably should not be sliding up and down because usually the bulkhead is a foam pillar that goes from the cockpit to the end of the bow with a hole in the middle of it for the plates to slide on(or at least the ones I have seen). Right now all I have is the base plates. I also wouldn't be worried about this except that now if I put 2 things of foam cut out from the foam someone gave to me to fit the kayak it would work except that when it is away from the pillar it will have a big gap in the middle of it. It's hard to explain but the picture shows a bit better what I am trying to say.
Old 07-03-2013   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
So I used to paddle a Diesel 75 back in 2005ish. I took the bulkhead plates out completely, took off the side rails that fix it to the bolts. Then I put the plate on a sheet of 4"x48" mini cell foam, traced the outline of the plate then added on 2" around that edge. After cutting the traced out foam, I removed the bow pillar (2 small screws at the front of the cockpit) and tried to place the bulkhead (with foam taped to it) back in, shaving down the areas that met resistance until it was seated in the front. Once there, remove and glue/tape in place, and replace the center pillar.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #5
Eagle, Colorado
I may have to try that. Does the foam take up enough space then? also the foam I was given from another boater is only 2" thick, will this work as well? Thanks