Old 01-05-2013   #1
Cincinnati, Ohio
help me buy a creeker jackson vs fluid

Hey guys,

I run a Jackson 4 fun on class 3 water and on some class 1 rivers due to the location.
I want to buy a creeker to have a longer more stable boat with lots of volume. Also the additional speed will be nice.

Should I purchase a Fluid solo l or the new Jackson karma.

I can purchase a new fluid for about half the cost. I understand the solo is an older boat with less attractive outfitting and features but will I notice a difference in the modern style karma at My skill level?

I am 6'3 190lb

Lrdraca90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #2
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
i would go with the solo personally. i like jackson but the karma is new and unproven. granted dane jackson just won the wwgp in it, but im guessin this isnt dane jackson ! lol. ive never heard anything but praise from solo owners, and half off?! jump on it. too bad theyre new bazooka isnt half off......

Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #3
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
pm GearDog on here or leif, they're fluid pros.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #4
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Well I haven't paddled a Karma, but the Solo was my second choice last winter when I was in market for a new creeker. That was before the Karma or the Bazooka came out. I still hear good review about that boat and personally would rather a Fluid over a Jackson.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You're paddling in Cincinnati. Boat choice is the least of your concerns!

All kidding aside, welcome to the Buzz. For getting started creeking, go with the cheaper option. If you get a deal on it, you'll be able to sell/trade with little value loss if you figure out that you need something different.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #6
Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Can't say enough about the Karma: Great initial stability, super comfortable, wicked secondary stability, shallow draft for gliding over the bony stuff. A great boat!
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I am 6'1" 195#, have been paddling a Solo for a few years now and am more than happy with it. Not sure what year Solo you are looking at, but the outfitting is great in the 2010 and newer boats and still pretty good in boats a little bit older. (The older boats may need a seat part replaced, but it is relatively easy -and cheap- to get) Also, Fluid is a great choice for a used boat because it's plastic is darn near indestructible.

I have paddled a number of creekboats over the years and find the Solo to rank among the best of them. It will give you the stability and speed you are looking for. The difference in price between it and a new Karma makes it a no-brainer. Use the money saved on gas for trips out to West Virginia.
pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #8
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Have you thought about The Bazooka, fluid's new creek-boat? I haven't paddled the karma, but I can tell you The Bazooka is a great boat.

Leif and Natalie: Bazooka Review
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #9
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
I'll second the bazooka if you want to go the way of Fluid. Check gearswap section, recent saw a bunch of cheap bazookas for sale by Gavin.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #10
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Fluid solo's a solid boat. Proven and reliable. It was my main creeker until the Bazooka showe up. It's totally changed my approach to creeking and I absolutely love it. Not sure about the Jackson Karma. Some good mates and paddling partners ride for Jackson and like the new Karma. I'd you can get a Solo on the cheap, my bet is you'll be pretty stoked on it.

PM me or call. I'm the Rocky Mtn rep for Fluid. Love to. Ak with you about it.

To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote