Old 03-27-2009   #11
Groveland, California
Thanks for the replies! Somewhat nice to know I'm not the only one with a melon this big!

It looks like my choices are limited to the Grateful Heads Hard Hit, or one from Head Trip. These are the only companies that are confident their helmets will fit. FN Guide is close, at 24.5", but not quite, and they now cost the same as the others mentioned.

I'll have to get one of them on order next week.

How do the helmets with the bill/visors work out? Like the Head Trip Polo, or Daffy? Or am I better off sticking with the trim Hard Hit?

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #12
I'm a size 8 yes EIGHT...

Check out the Shred Ready T-dub and the Full Mental, fit me but your fit may differ due to head shape.
I have asked all the helmet reps that have come by the shop to measure my noggin and build a "Big Head" as you can shim down.

A couple of the FNA's fit me, but most don't and that's with the minimun foam in them.

"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #13
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Head trip also makes a helmet called the extended half without a visor. I like the visor and have never had any problems.
I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for quite a while.
~Carl Spackler
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #14
Davis, California
according to farron at FNA

the x and xtra , xstream, will fit up to a 24 and a half inch head
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #15
Groveland, California
Update on the helmet-for-big-head search.....

In an attempt to find a helmet to fit me at a reasonable price, I dropped an email to Predator helmets regarding their new "Lee 8" helmet which is "sized to fit the medium to XL heads". They replied that, yes it would fit my head 7 7/8. I found one for $99 including shipping, it showed up yesterday, and it actually does fit. It even has room enough to add the skinniest of the shims (a whole assortment is included.) I wore it all day today on a canoe trip, and it was very comfortable, light, and the visor works very well.

As far as protection goes.....the shell is quite soft, I can easily squeeze it together, and the padding is very thin, maybe only 5/16 inch or so. I have no doubt that this helmet is inferior to a Head Trip, Grateful Heads, FNA etc, but for what I am doing, it will be just fine, and is roughly half the price. (It has a sticker in the helmet that says it is not for class V, or VI paddling, thought that was interesting.)

Anyhow, if you have a big head, and are looking for a nice looking, comfortable, moderatly priced helmet that will probably fit up to size 8, this might be an option. If you are looking for some serious protection, I would probably consider one of the other brands mentioned above.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #16
Jenks, Oklahoma
Try the snow ski helmets

Do a google search on ski helmets

I have had great luck with Leedom, Biori and the list goes on.

Try the XXL sizes with the hard foam lining which meet the same basic standards as the motor cycle helmets do.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #17
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
I've got a mega melon. Big vote for Grateful Heads. Call them direct, tell them of your impediment, and they will take care of you. Took care of me. Bought a blem. It had three pinsized dots of green paint. Still treated me like a full blown top dollar customer.

God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote