Old 11-18-2012   #51
x, x
Paddling Since: x
so if a sweet helmet fit snugly, you might want to buy that one and gut it. That is what i had to do. I have a big head too. i could not find a helmet and took a chance on the sweet.

i cut all the foam out and the water thing in the front. it fits great, i can get a skull cap on under it and i've hit my head a few times each season for the last 2 with no issues.

just a thought, you can try mine on if u come through colorado

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #52
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010

Have you tried the SR Standard Halfcut? I have the same front-to-back issue that you do, and my first helmet (a predator) rattled around on the sides. I upgraded to the SR. I don't have ANY padding in it, and my head just fits barely in it front-to back, but it's comfy enough for a day of paddling, and the sides don't rattle at all.

WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #53
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by abnormative View Post
Are all you other giant oval head folk geniuses too?

I have some more data points. My head is 24"/61cm ( 7 5/8 ) and it's longer front to back, aka oval.

Sweet Rocker Full Cut L/XL: Just a little too small front to back; if I squeeze the sides, it just fits.

Shred Ready Sesh: Same as the Sweet: Just a little too small front to back; if I squeeze the sides, it just fits.
Same size/shape head here. I currently wear a ProTec TwoFace (discontinued in 2010). I keep an NRS strap on it in storage to squeeze the sides in. Fits like a glove.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #54
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I keep an NRS strap on it in storage to squeeze the sides in. Fits like a glove.
Now that is genius! Heading to the garage now to do the same!
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #55
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
The Gath Gedi ended up being the winner for me.

Ordered one from Murray's in Cali two seasons ago. Price has gone up $20 since then, but it's still worth it. It's a well built, very comfortable helmet. It comes with a removable and adjustable visor, convertible ear pads (with hard shell on outside of pad for impact protection), soft carry bag and plenty of extra foam for custom fitting your helmet.

Like someone mentioned previously, it is slightly round, but the XXXL fit my (long front to back) head just fine. I used some of the included pads to make the fit on the sides a little more snug.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #56
Jenks, Oklahoma

thanks for the tip.

I have the same size noggin as you have and my old ski helmet's worn out, especially the webbing straps frayed and coming loose.

checked out the Gath Gedi at Murrays along with the gopro mount and ordered same.

A fellow Buzz's recommendation plus the custom gopro mount and a decent fit is worth the money to me.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #57
Canmore, People's Republic of Alberta
Paddling Since: 1982
Gath Jedi for me too! That's all I could find to replace my old helmet. They've got gloriously large sizes. I was going to default to a ski helmet due to lack of other options.
Bruce from Canmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #58
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Shred Ready - OSK Helmet - XXL?

Anybody know when the new Shred Ready OSK helmet will be available? From their website it appears they will have an XXL size. Anyone tried on the XXL sized helmet?

Nice to see a bigger sized helmet will be made available. I've asked WRSI for years to put out a bigger size and each time they say they're working on it and haven't seen anything yet.

O-S-K | ShredReady
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #59
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I feel ya on the skis- Blizzard just took the Ti out of most of their skis- everything is going hyper light for side country. Just choked back my bias against China sourced skis and picked up a pair of Volkl Kuros. Only wide pow ski that was stout enough for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #60
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
After waiting for over a year for the new Shred Ready OSK helmet to be available (still delayed from what I've heard) I just picked up an NRS Anarchy helmet and was pleasantly surprised that it fit my bigger (longer f to b) head. The make-up of the helmet is interesting - plastic shell and the foam is like a bicycle helmet. The fit is 100% better than my old Shred Ready helmet, but then almost any new helmet would be. Plenty of room front to back and side to side without being sloppy or too loose.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote