Heard of an AIRE Tomcat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-27-2016   #1

Central Point, Oregon
Heard of an AIRE Tomcat?

Found a killer deal on an AIRE inflatable kayak that's being marketed as a tomcat on Craigslist. Says it's an 18 year old boat but I've never heard of an AIRE Tomcat before just the lynx. And I'm pretty sure it was before Aire was marketing their tributary line. Just curious if anyone has heard of it before and I'm positive it's an AIRE as it has the large square logos on each side. Going to look at it tomorrow!

kelseylofdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yes....it is \was a cheaper line of boats Aire put out....generally good value but less durable,fine for what most duckies do...similar to Lynx,the differences are :PVC rather than urethane bladder,shorter warranty,and Chinese made to Aire's specs,i think ( don't want Aire to get mad at me ,I am a huge fan of their's)..lots of threads about ducky selection,look back a page or two...generally good feedback about Tomcats
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016   #3

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yep, what cayo said. Tomcat is the China version of their Ik line, and read up on current threads, lots of info. 18 years is alot for a Tomcat and really needs to be closely inspected for major wear. The stitching on the seams and the entire length of the zipper need extra attention. Also unzip the outer shell and blow-up interior bladder and check for leaks. I've had one for 9 years now, had to patch bladder 2 times and zipper has small tear, boat is about shot, but I ran that IK alot doing some rocky, technical, and shallow creeks. Buying a new one for$600, there are some really good deals right now. Make sure to get thigh straps. I would pass on an 18 year old Tomcat unless it was kept in storage for some time. Just inspect it alot!!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016   #4

Central Point, Oregon
I know the tomcat is the tributary line from aire that is made in China. My understanding is aire didn't start the tributary line until 2003 which this boat dates before then. If a boat is made in China it's stamped with a tributary logo. This IK has an AIRE logo on it. I've searched the buzz for a tomcat with an AIRE logo and came up with nothing. I'll try to post pics
kelseylofdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016   #5

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Aire Caracal IK was the predecessor to the Tomcat IKs. The first generation had angled lines, the second generation was more similar to the current Tomcat. Both were made of thinner/cheaper material than the Lynx and had a lower price point and shorter warranty. I believe they were made overseas. Both had hte big Aire logos. Below is a picture of the 1st gen Caracal.
Attached Images

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire