Old 11-10-2013   #1
Hanging kit off your PFD

My thoughts on the matter - Things To Hang Off Your PFD | Unsponsored

unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #2
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I personally loathe seeing the raft guides that carry myriads of carabiners on the shoulder straps of their pfds.

I try and carry as little as I can on the outside of my jacket. I currently only have a knife and whistle on the front of the jacket, and find the knife to be in the way on occasion

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #3
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Standard carabiners on PFD's scare me. What could you lock on to by accident? If you must wear carabiners much safer to use locking ones.
Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #4
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Or put them in a pfd pocket?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #5
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would never hang any kit off my pfd. I have lots of kits on my boat: a first aid kit, a repair kit, a spice kit, and a z-drag kit. It would be rather uncomfortable and unsafe to hange any of these kits off my pfd.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #6
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Agreed, the more crap attached to you, the larger the mass your pfd has to displace water for, equalling lower buoyancy point...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #7
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Cow tails are probably the next most popular thing I see. They have their place and with a releasable harness seem to make sense. I get the biners but please use locking and keep them locked when attached to your person.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #8
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
After losing a lot of knives to the river and finishing many river trips with only a small folding knife in my PFD pocket I have found a compromise that works well for me. It wasn't the cost of the knives as much as never knowing if it was going to still be there when I needed it.

I wear an astral greenjacket. It has 2 sliding panels and a gap between them. At about sternum level I zip tied my sheath horizontally. My handle protrudes out right just enough to be seen and easily grabbed but not enough to snag. I've had the same knife 3 years running. I've deployed it efficiently under pressure a few times just fine. I've had to finally sharpen my knife- rather than replace it.

disadvantages: It is harder to deploy left handed. I have to remember to put the blade sharp side down as it is mildly close to my neck and a train wreck of a deployment could conceivably get it close to my neck, though it would probably have to go through a shoulder strap to get there.

Always: orange fox whistle on a cheapo keychain carabiner and split ring in the shoulder close enough to blow without detaching. Strong enough setup that I haven't lost it, weak enough to break free if it somehow became caught, though I can't imagine how it could. No cord.

95% of the time I carry a salamander waist throwbag. When I kayak it is around my chest, when I raft it is on my waist. I put it on the exact same direction every time and practice the 2 likely ways I would use it before launching every time. I look stupid, like some sort of quick draw nerd, but I don't care. It has a quick release buckle. I have thrown it several times and while I can't gun it as far as a regular bag I basically always have it with me. Scouting, pee breaks, etc + no need to pop the skirt.

I was long ago swr certified and recertified. I wear a rescue vest. When I go kayaking with beginners who are likely to yardsale I add a stretchy cowtail with carabiner that is attached to my quick release system. It is generally non-locking because I choose the convenience of 1 handed instant usefulness over the extremely remote random attachment. This is especially true because If I am with beginners I am in water that I am extremely comfortable being in. Plus there is always the quick release option. Any other time I leave the cow tail home.

In my rear pockets I have 2 biners and mirco pulleys in one side and 2 prusiks and an anchor webbing in the other side. With my waist bag I have a light Z kit at all times.

The front pocket is another length of webbing and a locking biner. While rafting I add a frame tool. Then I usually have a waterproof lighter and a snack. And of course whatever else gets shoved in there. Camera, gloves, garbage.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote