Old 06-01-2010   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
Hand washer plans

Can anyone post pictures on Flickr etc. with a link that shows homemade hand washers? I have the various parts but like an old idiot I have forgotten the configuration! Anything would help, and I love the suggested names that others have posted. Thanks.

nsavidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I keep meaning to take photos of mine, but here's the stacking system I copied. It's nice, less splashing and less bending, and it nests. Instead of cat litter buckets I used regular buckets and a gamma seal lid. I also used refrigeration copper piping (scrap from a contractor) and bent it to make a spout. I use some straps to hold it in place. The whole thing fits inside the bucket along with other junk that needs a home but doesn't need to be dry.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #3
snowmass vilage, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I don't have any photos but I can tell you how I built mine;
Took about 24 inches of 1/2 galv. electrical conduit and put a 6 inch bend in it. (6 inches from center of pipe to center). ran 3/8" plastic water tubing all the way through the conduit leaving about 3 feet extending out the bottom of the conduit. Cut the 3/8 tubing about 1 foot from the bottom of the conduit, connect a ball pump in line, and you are ready to go. Use a small c-clamp to attach the conduit to the side of the bucket. Using the bent conduit and running the tube through it was easier than trying to find all the right connectors, reducers etc to make hard water line work.
ssquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Partner Steel sells one called the "wishy washy." There's a picture on their website. Look under camp stuff. Our rafting club has one that a guy named Bob put together, hence the name "Bob-O-Matic."
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #5
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I threw one together with PVC pipe,tubing , connectors, some c-clamps, a fuel pump bulb, zip ties and cat litter buckets. Pretty low tech, but all parts are waterproof, replaceable and can nest in the buckets. I haven't got any fancy name for it yet, will have to work on that. Will have to dig it out of the gear pile to take a pic and post
dinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #6
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The link that lhowemt posted is from my uncle. The system works great, and is really easy to set up and use. It all nests inside the buckets with enough room left over for a bottle of bleach, dish soap, hand soap and alum. It is an easy way to keep all your water/ cleaning suplies in one place.

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote