Old 03-17-2013   #11
Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
What about the Tuna? Has anyone paddled the Recon and the Tuna? I can only find Stomper / Tuna reviews.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #12
Eureka, California
Ditto for the less common but great Bliss-Stick designs (and Fluid!) ... Any comparisons of Karma and Recon with Tuna and Mystic??
The Tuna looks more speed(/race?)-oriented than my definitely fast-enough for my big water IV needs Mystic, but they also seem to have designed the Tuna to turn more easily than the solid-tracking but sometimes a bit slow to maneuver Mystic.
Fluid Solo is supposed to be one of the slowest modern creekers, but some people loved them, and the Bazooka is definitely faster but I've never seen a good comparison of it to the even more recent creekers.
Please post your actual experiences and post-demo or user thoughts here

shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #13
durango, Colorado
its all about the way it feels man, there all great boats in their own regard, get out and barrow/demo them and see what you like....
carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #14
Eureka, California
Living in the Land of NO Demos ...

Well said, and I totally agree, Carnuba, but ...
Myself and many others live in remote areas where there are few, if any dealers, zero demo or rental boats, friends usually paddle just a few brands and rarely the newer models (remote is often more economically downscale) or ones that are obscure or harder to get.

Sooo ... We have to do things like my usual Buy & Try system (used or demo boats) or we have to do a two-day round trip that costs 1/4 the cost of a used newer boat to demo the major 5? brands on unfamiliar waters.

So please tell me how the boats feel to you! ) ... So I can make less risky Buy & Try decisions.

-- I just put a refundable deposit down on a used Karma M, but there's a Recon 83 for a similar price elsewhere, even further away.
I hope the Karma isn't too fast for me and my occasionally infrequent boating that can lead to rusty/slow reactions
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #15
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Just paddled the karma for 3 days inSE on class3/4 creeks And big water...
Didn't really like it.. It's fast and you really had to put not on edge to get it to turn.. It's very stable and bombs stuff downhill but I think in tight twisty stuff you better be on your game...
Go with recon !!!
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Creek Boat choices

Hey, I had some thoughts on this and wrote a short piece a while back about creek boat design when the Stomper first came out so it's a little dated. I have had a lot of boats over the years. My choices have leaned to larger boats as time goes on. Except for the Mystic which was an exception. Anything Under 80 Gallons is a small creeker IMO. Here's a short list of the Creeker I owned over the last 20+ years.
WaveSport Extreme (Bad)
NewWave Mongoose (Good)
Pyranha 240 (Very Good)
Riot BigGun (Mediocre)
Eskimo Diablo (Good)
Dagger Nomad 8.1 (Very Good)
LL Jefe (Excellent)
Bliss Sitck Mystic (did not work for me)
LL Stomper 90 (Excellent)
although I have many others that I didn't own and no I haven't paddled the Jackson Creekers but know they are good performers. I probably paddled the Jefe for the longest extended period. The new Recon does look good but man is that boat heavy - way over 50 lbs. I personally hated the Habitat 74, but the 80 paddled much better and still has a stong following. There are so many good designs, and I concur that if it feels good and works for you than buy it. Despite Ken's opinion which I value, I think the Stomper is an amazing boat.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Creek.doc (205.5 KB, 72 views)

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote