Old 10-22-2009   #1
Conyers, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2009
H3 245 For a newbie?

I have been kayaking in my Inflatable for 8 months now and have recently exceeded the capabilities of my boat by far. Anyways I was looking for a good deal on a used creek boat and was wondering what would be a good option for me. I run mostly III's and IV's on a local creek and the chatooga, but would like to run some IV+/V creeks. I weigh 150, 5'9", and would like to have a little amount of stow room for overnighters if possible.

Looking at this would a pyranha h3 245 be a good boat for me?
I was also looking at jefes but I just came across a good deal on a h3

mrkeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Doesn't sound like a bad boat for you. Everyone here will say this first, "Demo, Demo, Demo"

jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #3
Conyers, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2009
Only problem with doing a demo is that Georgia (other than the Northeast Region) doesn't have much of a whitewater scene so I would have to drive 2.5+ hrs away to demo. Also don't really have the wallet to be picky, I have a strick
$400 budget and need a spray skirt along with a paddle included in that price.

Right now the h3 is sounding nice because it meets my price and comes with a pfd, helmet, paddle and a skirt.

Although in the long run, I don't want to wish I would have seen what other boats there were before I jumped on this.
mrkeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #4
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
With your requirements though it is going to be tough to demo and demos cost money. I think it's going to be hard to find deals like that locally to demo in your situation. Unless you change your requirements it sounds like your just going to have to go out on a limb at some point. That said I like that h/burn series and you shouldn't outgrow it as you progress as a river runner/creeker, you won't be able to do anything but surf as a playboater. As a beginner the h:3 may be a hard to roll though. These are getting to be old boats so you will want to do your homework on how good of shape it is in as well as the rest of the gear.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #5
Golden, Colorado
I don't know about stowing stuff in the back but I think the H3 would be a perfect boat for getting into more difficult creeking. You are certainly going to find it much easier to get one of those for cheap compared to a Jefe.

An old H2 was my first "creekboat". I loved it. I've had a few other brands of creekers but I came back to Pyrhanna and I paddle a Burn now. I love their designs. I find the planing or semi-planing hull with chines or semi-chines to be the perfect fit for me. I like a boat that stays online without making crazy 180 turns as punishment for losing control. I like a boat that behaves sanely for that split second when I make a mistake and that is what Pyrhanna's creekers do for me. I hate squirrley creekers that rip you a new one every time you get a little bit offline... I find the Burn (and my old H2 and your H3) does not rip me a new one when I screw up.

As for going for the class V... If you are mostly III/IV right now then spend a few years at IV/IV+ and then a year at V- and THEN start thinking about V. The problem with V is that it kills you when you screw up. Plan on some major ass beatings if you start creeking V. Lots of people get away with paddling V within a few years of starting but I think some of them are ticking time bombs. Most of them will live through it but the risks are enormous.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
You'll love it. H3 was the boat I used to step up to harder stuff and I still use it for big water. A few H3 peculiarities:
You'll need an extra large keyhole cockpit.
Don't step on the seat where it says "no step"
The bulkhead outfitting tends to get loose easily, particularly while on the roof. Locktite.
The H3 seemed very sensitive to seat position. Take some time to find the right position for you. I found I needed to be further back in the boat than I expected.
In my experience, the H3 has been more demanding to paddle and can be punishing if you're asleep at the wheel. Could be because I'm 200# and have a 245. For me, the H3 demands an aggressive posture and paddling style, which teaches good skills. When I'm getting getting tossed around, I think "lean forward, attack your line." When you're aggressive, as Ture said, the boat is very easy to correct.
I haven't found it particularly hard to roll, but now that I've said that...

DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote