Old 06-11-2012   #1
Lyons, Colorado
Groover Stank Solution?

So I know a guy... let's say his name is Fred. He was dumb, lazy, stupid enough to leave his Eco Safe groover full over the winter. Now he's finally emptied it and cleaned and soaked it with bleach, RV deodorizer and everything else he can think of but the stink refuses to go away.

Does he just need to buy a new tank and never make the same mistake again?

Anybody have any luck removing months' worth of stink from the Eco tanks? You know... so I can pass the info along to my buddy Fred.

dan_giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #2
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
That is disgusting.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #3
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
simple green with a cup of water, shake let sit put on the hill behind your house empty rinse repeat till the stench is gone
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #4
Bailey, Colorado
Though I have never left mine full for more than a couple of days max after I get off the river, I usually find a RV dump on the way home. When I get home, it is empty and clean, I set it out in the sun with the top open for a couple of weeks and I never smell it. UV does wonders on some things.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I usually let mine "digest" a while before I dump it but never as long as Fred did. I've noticed some residual odor but find that if I add an inch or two of water and the RV chemicals (just like I'm setting it up for use) it is pleasant when I use it a couple weeks later. It is also much easier to have it already set up for camp the first night.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #6
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Pine Sol works good, I wouldn't mix it with bleach that can be a dangerous mix.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #7
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've never managed to get the stink out and mine only sat a week while using it and was cleaned right at the takeout.

bleach, nothing.
enzymes, nothing.
pinesol. Nothing.

must just be my shit. Apparently it does stink.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This is best done with a full groover that doesn't have the ecosafe system but put the rocket box in the back of a truck and park it in a downtown alley for a couple of days. The stink will disappear. Along with the rocket box.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #9
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
.....and possibly the truck.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #10
West Copper, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Dan, (I mean Fred) dont beat yourself up over leaving poop in your groover, It happens to many more people than will ever admit it. Myself included.

Make sure the plastic container is allowed to dry for days as already posted above. I ended replacing my rocket box when I determined it was holding a lot of the stink. (much cheaper than replacing the ecosafe liner) -Maybe painting the rocket box would have helped. The product called "Groover Tamer" works pretty well, they have a spray that works well to mask the stink when using the groover.

In my opinion, an open groover is always going to smell no matter how long the poop was left in it prior to cleaning it. I would not bother replacing the ecoliner.

2 cents from the Chuch

Chuch is offline   Reply With Quote