Old 12-14-2010   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you go the pvc route, you can get rubber ends that close securely with hose clamps.

I see no reason for this to be a shared or group item, unless you're with one of those WSR authors who wants to carry it all in their sea kayak.

We used the PVC (first trip only) as small coolers for frozen meat. Then convert to waste mode after consuming.

3" tubing doesn't go very far....

Screw top jars are good if rangers allow.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #12
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Andy- I'm amazed that you've seen BLM rangers handing them out! I guess a stretch like Pumphouse where most people do it as a day run might have been having problems with human waste at lunch spots. I think our combined experiences show how disconnected not only all the different agencies are, but also how much it comes down to ranger judgement and mood as to what he's going to allow from one day to the next.

This goes for people on the phone, as well. If you have a question about whether a piece of gear is going to pass muster, don't rely on the girl who's worked in the river office for 3 months to tell you what's going to be allowed- ask to talk to, or better yet, e-mail (so it's in writing) the head river ranger.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #13
Jenks, Oklahoma
Got to agree with Denali on the phone calls. Most every call I have made to a office ended up with whom ever answered the phone not knowing the answer but most have told me I need to talk to the head ranger.

I also think final decision is with whom ever checks you at the put in or along the river. Does not matter what you say, the on site Ranger has the right answer.

On the good side, there are river rangers that have emailed me directly on questions and even given me their cell number for last minute questions. Proving that there are really co operative rangers and others that are not.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #14
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
BLM made Wag Bag iniitiative pretty darned official on the Upper C...

Free WAG Bags offered for UCR campers Saturday

This isnt sayin any other agencies have the same policies or concerns... But BLM is certainly easing off of the "RV Hose Compatible and Prohibitively Expensive Groover System" mandates in certain areas.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #15
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
OKie- I've even had rangers call me and leave a message (no cell service out in the desert before you get to Moab) that since they were about to close, and I hadn't picked up my permit yet, that they'd take it home with them so that I could meet them somewhere to pick it up so I wouldn't have to drive from Potash all the way to the Canyonlands office just to pick it up. Talk about service!

UserName- Prohibitively Expensive (to throw away after every trip) is actually what many agencies like NPS are going for. If you could just throw away the $20 rocket at the end of the trip, it wouldn't do them much good. I don't really think that the EcoSafe liners are that expensive when you consider how many people use them and how long they last. For an initial investment of about $200 you can get 2 EcoSafe liners that will allow a group of 10 10-12 days on the river. If you divide that out, that's $20/person added to trip costs- and that's only for the first trip....after that, it's free.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #16
Jenks, Oklahoma
Ditto on the Eco Safe units. I have two that have been on a lot of trips and look like new. I have never heard of one of them going bad. I called the manufacturer of Eco Safe and asked about how long the plastic liner units would last. Answer, they should last most of us a lifetime IF we keep the hi power chemical smell goods out of the tank. That stuff eats the plastic over time. He said always use the biodegradable smell good stuff and the plastic would be good to go.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #17
Denver, Colorado

These systems work very well. Check out this link for details

Stay Wet
Repa is offline   Reply With Quote