Old 08-20-2011   #1
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001

I just purchased a new PFD for rafting. I have a large class 5 and never wear it because its to bulky so i decided to go with the Greenjacket very comfortable. Down Side, im 270 pounds and this jacket only has 15.5lb of Buoyancy. my thought were the 26lb boyancy i wont wear unless i see danger, last week end cured me of this thought i saw a boat flip in relatively calm water class 1.5 maybe and no one had a jacket on. I rowed and grabed 90% of their gear for tem putting myself into a situation where i almost hit a log jam the size of a large house, guess what i handt thout about my life jacket until it was all over. Im wearing one always.

Opinons on Greenjacket and with my weight im i stupid to get the 15.5?

Flyflishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #2
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
Actually I am the same wt and the green jacket has floated me in browns @3000
When I was blown off the back of my raft . My daughter pulled me in and the jacket is incredible . I have used other pfd's and the green jacket is the most comfortable I have ever used . I have been cloating 30plus years and in the last 10 years we have a rule jacket and Helmets . I have 3 generations of paddlers going now as my grand children also float we use astral jackets all the way round . great product
Wear a helmet

ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What makes you think you need so much buoyancy? In general, the human body is neutral (give or take) in water, so while 26lb will pop you up quicker, 15 should float you just fine.

Plus a 15lb vest you'll wear is better than a 26lb vest sitting besire you.
tcookson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Well, take this for what it's worth- but I'm guessing that there might be a little extra flotation in that 270 lbs already.....

The greenjacket is super comfy and that usually means you'll keep the darn thing on as opposed to under your backside as a cushion. Oh- and it looks cool too. Not a bad thing.

Go w/ a Greenjacket. If you hate it- send it back or sell it on Craigslist.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
You're weightless in the water, which is why you only need 15.5lbs of floatation despite your weight. If you're looking for a rescue PFD with more floatation, which will both help you surface faster and stay higher, you have options. I use a Kokatat Ronin Pro L/XL which has 17.5lbs of floatation and isn't bulky. The same jacket in XXL has 18lbs which is what you would likely need for your torso size. NRS also makes a 22lbs floatation rescue PFD called the Rapid Rescuer that is designed for rafting. I'm not sure about the bulk factor on this vest, since I haven't worn one, but it gets good reviews and is loaded with features.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #6
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I love my green jacket I put it on and almost forget its on. Very comfortable I also like astral's pullover design.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #7
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I love my Greenjacket, too, and weigh 260. My problem with it is that I'm 6'5" and it rides so high. Wish they had adjustable shoulder straps. Any ideas how to insert some adjustment up there?
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #8
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I just want to chime in here. I am 6'2" 220lbs and have no natural buoyancy, I sink like a stone. 16.5lbs does not hold my nose above the water line, which made some interesting swims. I use a B22, which they don't produce anymore, and it keeps the air flowing. Not too bulky either.
I'm just saying that if you think you need more, get more. And wear it always.

SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote