Old 03-02-2013   #1
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Grand canyon food Pro pack vs Cieba

Looking fro anyone that has used either Pro or Cieba for their food packing is one any better than the other? and using their coolers or shipping your own coolers for them to fill. First time down the Ditch.

westwaternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #2
No experience with either but had the best experience with moenkopi last summer - consider them if you are food pack shopping. Everyone was within a few hundred of eachother but Moes responsiveness and customer service stood out. Definitely pay the few extra bucks to use their coolers unless you live in flagstaff. We had a whole mess of frame types and they had a cooler to fit each.

mcfarlandandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #3
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm going to be using Ceiba for my trip this October. While it's still a ways off, they have shown a lot of interest in my trip and have been extremely professional and helpful. We're starting with one of their menu plans, but then heavily modifying it to fit our tastes as was their suggestion. I haven't heard anything bad about Moes' food prep, but I have heard horror stories about them forgetting things like pfds, kitchen items, and giving a group a broken water filter... I say that, but I'm sure those are outlier situations. Definitely use the companies coolers. They will deep freeze the ones to be used later in the trip so you know you'll have ice all they way to then!
It's going to be awesome for you! Have a great trip!
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've never used an outfitter, but have heard that one/some do not pack the food per day. So instead of bringing up one rocket box and pulling everything out of one cooler, you have to rifle through many places to find the stuff you need. You may want to see how each of those organize and pack the food.

Wow, that is the first bad report I've ever seen on moeenkopi.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #5
Scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
I was on a trip 2 years ago and we used pro. It was kind of a pain to get food out of multiple boxes/coolers for every meal. The food was fine and there was plenty of it but it could have been a lot easier to prepare. Simple things like giving us par cooked lasagna noodles instead of regular ones, grated cheese instead of blocks... There was considerable work for every meal. I am launching again June 22 and we are using Ceiba. We are packing our own food (3 professional chefs on the trip) and I might have gone with Pro but they would not sell us ice unless we bought their food pack.
dsmoake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #6
Our first hand Moe experience was quite the opposite of what rivervibe has heard. Not only did they deliver everything we ordered in great working condition but had some commonly forgotten extra items on hand just in case. I am confident if anything had been discovered missing/broken on the ramp that Brady would have made the trip to Flag and back before we pushed off the next day.

Re food packing: the two different methods of packing (shop from multiple containers vs shop from one container each day) is dictated by available boat space. Packing so that only one container is accessed each day requires more space. I think all of the food pack co.s offered to do either method for our trip. We had the space so went for the more convenient one-box-a-day method.
mcfarlandandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #7
We used Pro...... The Painless Private. I honestly can imagine doing it any other way. We spent some time with another group..... Shared a big camp on a layover day....... Gotta say their operation looked like a sheit show. Very unorganized. They had done it all themselves. With a few rented items.
We weren't broke and were traveling from a few different areas.

We also had 40+ pounds of ice left on day 19...... Takeout in mid may.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #8
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
We used Ceiba a couple of years ago, and I felt that same level of interest and excitement from them for my trip. We used our own coolers and rocket boxes, which meant coming to their place in Flag the morning two days before the launch to pack everything. They had everything prepped to go into our containers. It was all neatly organized and only took us an hour and something with three guys. They even had a crane to hoist the loaded cooler back into its spot in the frame on the trailer.

My only little disappointment was that they switched to all vegetarian meals after day 16, which I could have caught with a closer look at the menu. It is probably an assumption about ice holding that drove that choice, but with our February trip we still had 90+ lbs of ice on hand.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #9
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1996
We used Cieba a few years ago and had a not so great experience. Granted, it was a cancellation and we only had two weeks between getting the permit and launching...

We didn't have a single frying pan for the trip. Some meals we barely had enough food for everyone and some meals we had way, way too much. But the biggest probably was the fact that they missed one day of meals completely. We didn't notice before we set off, but the calendar they gave us skipped from Oct 6th to Oct 8th. So no food for one day. Luckily we had met another group that had enough food to help us out. But that a major bummer. Also, they restocked us at Diamond and the food was all frozen solid...all the meat for that night was rock hard and the coolers so cold all the veggies froze.
raftkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #10
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I've used all three in my last 8 trips and all are good. There are differences depending on the type of trip you are doing. Because I tend to do "hybrid" trips we lean toward Moenkopi. Brady has been the easiest to work with and his customer service is legendary and well deserved. By hybrid trips I mean that we rent coolers, food pack, and groover with disposal fee. We use our own equipment and arrange our own shuttles. Cieba seemed to have the advantage with best food. PRO is more rigid in what they offer but if you've never been and want a truly painless private, they started it all and have it down. Equipment is about the same with all three. Food packs have been well organized with coolers packed by type and in order of which item is used. Rocket boxes labeled by day, lunch box, and empties become trash. It's a system and works if you use it. Most pack way more than you need especially with commissary items and snacks. You can fine tune this if you take the time to spell out everything including types of food and brands, etc. You can't go wrong with any of the three I've mentioned. There are others I haven't had the chance to try. Mistakes do happen, but I haven't experienced any that couldn't be overcome with some ingenuity and positive thinking. For my time and money, I like the company that works with us.

mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote