Old 03-04-2013   #11
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I've been on two trips with Ceiba and one trip with PRO. One advantage PRO and Moenkopi have over Ceiba is they can freeze the whole cooler. Ceiba just uses block ice that isn't going to last as long. All of the companies have great coolers, 205 Q. Icee Cool, so unless you have the equivalent or better use theirs.

I prefer packing food by day in rocket boxes which can be done at PRO but it isn't their standard and you have to pay more for it. They like packing like items in aluminum dry boxes and you have to go to every boat to get what you need for a meal. I'm on vacation when I'm down there I don't want to do a lot of shopping. I trust rocket boxes to stay dry much more than aluminum dry boxes in case of a flip.

followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #12
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
We used PRO and I think they were great.

If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #13
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Just my 2 cents, I have been on 2 trips that have used Canyon REO and both times I felt they were superb. Both of the trip leaders also raved about the customer service when ordering the food. Every meal is packed in its own rocket box, so real easy to get to.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #14
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
We used Ceiba a couple of years ago, and I felt that same level of interest and excitement from them for my trip. We used our own coolers and rocket boxes, which meant coming to their place in Flag the morning two days before the launch to pack everything. They had everything prepped to go into our containers. It was all neatly organized and only took us an hour and something with three guys. They even had a crane to hoist the loaded cooler back into its spot in the frame on the trailer.

My only little disappointment was that they switched to all vegetarian meals after day 16, which I could have caught with a closer look at the menu. It is probably an assumption about ice holding that drove that choice, but with our February trip we still had 90+ lbs of ice on hand.
Whats up B! I was on the same trip. Those folks are as nice as can be and have there shit down. I think I pack better food/menus but that is exactly what I like. If you can't swing putting it together your self, these guys will do you right.
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #15
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
We used Pro in Oct '09 and everything was great, despite the 7 day notice-shortlist trip. In fact, If I remember correctly, they were the ONLY ones that would do food or rentals for our 11 person, 17 day trip on a weeks notice. And they were flexible in letting us bring one of our own boats and cooler, we just dropped of the cooler 2 days before launching. searching the boats for food for every meal was sort of a pain at first, but we also requested 16 footers instead of 18's, and brought a 13' as well, so we wouldn't have had the space to pack by the meal/day. They also had the location of all the food mapped out in our menu binder, so if you weren't too shitfaced to read, finding ingredients for a meal between 4 boats was about as painless as it could be. I can't imagine a more "painless" food and rental experience on such short notice. There is a reason their name is PRO
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #16
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
I will verify that the aluminum dry boxes on PRO boats do not stay dry in case of a flip. Not a ton of water, but some food was lost. Maybe a cup of water in each box.
PRo requires a little bit of OCD type of behavior to keep the system running smoothly. Inevitably, things get f-ed up. It is just part of the adventure. The work part of the adventure.
I have been on PRO and REO trips. PRO has better equipment. REO has better food system and better food in general.
Have fun with it.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #17
Waverly, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
the real pros...

We used Moenkopi in 2011 and we couldn't have been happier with the food. They deep freeze the food into the cooler, which means that we were able to pull out 16 ribeye steaks on day 16 on a trip in June. As several on here have mentioned, Moe has the best customer service in the business. Do yourself a favor and go with the real pros...MOENKOPI!

agunnoe is offline   Reply With Quote