Old 07-26-2011   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
Stuntmonkey makes a good point if your primary target is to upload to YouTube or Vimeo. Based on the statistics on my uploaded files only a small percentage of people will watch a video all the way through. Boring videos is one reason. Slow streaming is another.

My primary target is burning to BluRay disk for sharing with my family and friends, so I like recording everything in HD. So understanding your need may help you fine tune your work flow.

Here is an excellent forum about GoPros - including editing. This is where I learned just about everything I know about working with HD files and editors - as well as tricks on opening/closing the case so I don't break the latch, etc. • Index page

DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow. Thanks for all the responses....I now have lots of stuff to look into to kill the rest of the day.

I found a 2 TB external drive online for $80, that I am going to order, and I guess for now I will leave all the files on my memory card and edit them 1 at a time....about to check into downloading Sony Vegas as well.

Really my primary purpose is to share my videos with my parents and friends from Kansas via Facebook and Youtube, and occasionally post one up on here....and I would like to archive all my videos to DVD eventually.

We shall see how my desktop does at editing the is a 8 year-old Compaq with Windows XP. Hopefully I don't need to upgrade to a faster computer.

As of now I have a 16 GB memory card and 2 batteries....thinking I should upgrade to the 32 GB, keep the 16 as an extra and pick up one more battery.

Thanks again for all the info...but I'm sure I will have more questions down the road.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #13
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
You will fill up a 16 GB card at about the same time your battery goes dead. I have four 16 GB cards. I use a different card each day and I charge the battery each night. If I am on a multi-day trip I use a portable USB battery to recharge. It works pretty well. That way I don't have to worry about the battery going dead or the card filling up in the middle of the day.

Be sure to get SD cards that are proven to work well with the GoPro. A lot of them won't support the high bit rate. That GoPro forum has a list of known good cards.
DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #14
Total Newb
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
An 8 year old computer is going to struggle editing the big GoPro files (or any HD video for that matter). If you are very patient, it'll work, but again, very slow.
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #15
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If all you want to do is cut out a segment of your GoPro video for uploading to YouTube then you can't beat mp4box.exe. It is extremely fast since it doesn't do any transcoding. Just play the video first to determine the start and end points of the clip you want to cut out. Then run the following command:

mp4box -splitx xxx:yyy video.mp4

(xxx is the start time in seconds)
(yyy is the end time in seconds)
raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #16
winnipeg, manitoba
for watching HD vids, the best program i've come across is

SPLASH (Lite version is free)

Free Splash Lite - Next Generation Player homepage
adamsnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #17
Basalt, Colorado
Make an effort to upgrade your RAM, that seemed to be the biggest killer on my old PC. I currently run a Dell XPS which I got a smoking deal on, but then upgraded my RAM to 8GB.
I run my GoPro at the #3 setting 720p(1280x960), 60fps (for better slowmo) and my PC has zero problems.
I like Adobe CS5, but it takes some time to figure out the functions if you aren't familiar with them.
Also, it will always look better on your HD TV than it will on your PC moniter unless you upgrade that as well.
For the "haters" out there...Yes, everyone has one now. Live with it. I agree with you, I love being able to show my family back home exactly why I live here. And I might add that these cameras really, in my opnion are so much more awesome for water sports than anything else.
Have fun!
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #18
Basalt, Colorado
Found this on the GoPro site...hope it helps.

What are the minimum system requirements to be able to handle full 1080p or 720 60fps video files?

• For Windows-based computers, we require:
    • Windows Vista or later
    • 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 or faster
    • Direct X 9.0c or Later
    • At least 2 GB of system RAM
    • Video card with at least 256MB of RAM
I use a PC, what programs can be used to view and edit the videos?

• Windows Media Player or Movie Maker (download the latest HD-capable version and also download a H.264 decoder to update media or movie maker). CoreCodec CoreAVC is one company that offers a codec pack for h.264. VLC media player. Download this free video media player that supports .mp4 h.264 files: For other PC based editing programs, we have had several customers give good reviews of the Pinnacle Studio HD editing software which is compatible with the MP4 files. Adobe Premier Elements PC based program that is compatible with MP4 files. If you have an existing program that does not support MP4 files, you also have the option of using a file conversion software such as Squared5 or VLC Media Player to convert your files into a format compatible with your particular editing program.
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #19
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've used quite a few of the video editing programs out there over the years. For the price, I like Adobe Premier Elements. It's fairly rich in features yet not terribly expensive. You can try it for free for 30 days, as is the case with most of the more popular programs. i recommend downloading and trying them all first, then buy what suites you. Adobe should be coming out with a new version any day now, and the hope is that it's 64 bit for those of us with newer OS anyway. That way, more memory can actually be put to use. That being said, the rendering of the video is actually very CPU intensive, so a newer PC is almost a must for HD footage IMO.

There are some really good cheap and free video converters out there too, so if you don't care to keep it in it's HD format and put out Blu Ray discs, you can convert the video pretty easilly on your current PC and then it will be easier to edit.

I don't have a Go Pro myself, but I would assume there are some settings on it to shoot in lower resolutions. Both of my video cameras do, it allows for more time on the same media, which is something I would think Go Pro would want to offer since it's competition does.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #20
winnipeg, manitoba
^^^ There are 5 different shooting modes for video.
All different res / frame rates

adamsnez is offline   Reply With Quote