Old 11-22-2010   #1
Good Waterproof Cameras?

I am looking into possibly buying a waterproof camera sometime in the near future for kayaking and want something of quality, durable and can withstand the elements and some abuse i mean it is for kayaking so... But what are some different brands or types of cameras out there? Doesn't have to be the best one on the market but what are some different quality cameras that are waterproof and take pretty good photos as well

blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Take a look at the Panasonic. A friend has one and it seems to be pretty rugged and takes great photos.

I have an Olympus. The lens surround bezel fell off after about 9 months. Olympus repaired it quickly, but I can see it happening again. Seems to be glued on. Picture quality is mediocre. Waterproofness and toughness seem to be as advertised, which is to say good.

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
+1 on the panasonic. I have the TS1 but i think they have a TS2 now.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #4
waterproof camera

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports with a chest harness is the gold standard. High Definition, wide angle, can be mounted on kayak, chest, or helmet.

Waterproof is good but unable to drop in the river and accessible is even better

This is lower definition first generation Go Pro. The next generation has crazy resolution.

Boulder, CO
JOCDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Check out this thread: There is lots of information here.

Originally Posted by tmaggert View Post
I got the new Sony DSC-TX5 and love it. The panoramic sweep mode is great. You just hold down the shutter and sweep across and it merges the shots into one panoramic. Possibly the most fantastic feature I've ever used on a camera.

I took it up on the Middle Fork and got some great shots. There were also a couple of the Olympus waterproof cameras with us too. You can look at them here; Albums 2010. If you are curious what camera took what just download the file and look at the exif information embedded in the files.

I had the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 last year and took it on the Main Salmon and you can see those shots here; Albums 2007 - 2009. Anything from the Salmon to 2010 was taken with the Panasonic.

I would get the Sony if you have the cash.
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Costco has some gopro helmet cams for 180, does anyone know if these are an older model? They are listed as HD.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
Costco has some gopro helmet cams for 180, does anyone know if these are an older model? They are listed as HD.
Got a link to this?
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #8
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
GoPro @ Costco

Originally Posted by cuzin View Post
Got a link to this?
Costco is selling the GoPro Hero 960 HD bundle in stores for $179.99. This particular camera does not show up their website so I am not sure if this particular model is being replaced.

Here's a link to Best Buy for the same camera, same price but does not include the bundle stuff you would get from Costco.

GoPro - HERO 960 High-Definition Helmet Camcorder - Silver - CHD96-001
Max's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #9
Tempe, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Here is a costco GoPro (239 bucks): Offering thousands of items you won then electronics then camersa&camcorders then select the brand gopro on left pane.

Sorry but link was too long and cut off.

seangar5 is offline   Reply With Quote