Old 08-15-2011   #1
Good breakdown paddle for travel?

I've seen a few topics on this subject but all were pretty old so I'm reposting. I'm searching for a solid breakdown paddle for a month-long trip to New Zealand. Looking for something more than an emergency spare - any recommendations on this?

I've used my old Lendal for extended trips and I really like how the pieces screw in to tighten, so there's no wobble between the pieces when paddling. However I don't like the extra "grip" they've attached to the shaft (much like the old seven2s). Anyone have experience with an newer Lendal? Do they still have that extra grip? Any other suggestions for a good breakdown would also be appreciated.

MtnMaVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I haven't thought on this some and if I was setting out to get the best possible breakdown paddle, I'd want it to be a wooden paddle.

I would ask Anderson Oars and Paddles and Blunt Family if they make breakdowns. If two-piece is small enough for you, I'd go with that.

But that's just me. Love a sturdy paddle.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Was curious to see if anyone had new suggestions. Seems me like it's Lendal or Werner for good quality breakdown paddles and only Lendal has a bent shaft breakdown. I'm not aware of any changes in the Lendal shaft. I feel like I'd try to bring a normal paddle if you can away with toting it around. Wood paddles seem like a bad a choice for breakdowns as they're heavy (and likely don't exist).
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #4
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Yeah, I asked around and it turns out wooden take-down paddles are a bad idea, since it would take out the flex from the wooden shaft, which is the main advantage of having a wooden paddle to begin with.

With that said, I'm not sure what the best option would be, but Alpacka's section on choosing a paddle might help a little. Unfortunately, the breakdown paddles they offer are too long for most kayakers, though. You can find most of them in different lengths from other sources, however.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
werner 4 piece straight shaft. i have the player model.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #6
Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I have a 4 piece all carbon breakdown Splat from Aquabound that I got in a 210 length for my Ducky. Used it in the ocean on Vancouver Island and all the rivers around here. Breaks down nicely (I'd recommend storing it taken apart), goes together easy, light weight, cheaper than a Werner (although Werners are sweet, gots one for a SUP paddle), and I have not broken it yet.....I found out about them from the packraft scrubs....

MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote