Old 03-03-2011   #1
Casper, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Good adhesive for microcell on plastic

I'm doing some outfitting and wondered what people found worked best for microcell foam on plastic? I've got some epoxy but that may be a little overkill and i wasn't sure what that stuff would do to the foam or plastic.

dschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I've scuffed up the plastic a bit and used Gorilla Glue with great results.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #3
I would avoid epoxy, it will harden and break.

Enjoy Cali, wish I could make it happen and go with.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
3M super 77... Spray on contact adhesive. Clean inside surface of kayak to be glued with an MEK damp rag. Make a paperboard cutout of the shape of the foam outfitting to use as a template so that the spray 77 doesn't get all over the insided of your kayak. Spray area where you want to apply foam - let dry to tackiness. Spray back of foam, let dry to tackiness. Stick in place, apply pressure - go boating. You only get one chance to place the foam, but once it's stuck -you're good.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #5
San Juan Islands, Washington
Weldbond contact cement
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The best we have found is H2 Glue. You can find it here It is what we use on all our kayak outfitting projects.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
H2 Glue

H2 Glue is definitely what you should use.

Tips on use: Rough both sides using dragon skin, also I'm sure sold at CKS. Then generously coat both sides and let sit 8-10 minutes. Then apply second coat and again let sit 10-12 minutes. Then carefully place both sides together realizing that there will be no "give" when the two pieces come together.

Hope this helps. I am an avid custom outfitter and use this process all the time with great results.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I also use the 3M 77 adhesive junk. Funny, because my comment was going to be that it sticks well but if you really need to you can generally peel the foam back off (even after it dries) with some effort. I think most people use something like the H2 glue though which is probably a better bond. I've used Gorilla Glue with poor results. It was a major letdown - having discovered Gorilla Tape I had a goal of converting my entire life to all things Gorilla.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #9
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I also use the spray stuff.

Before actually sticking the bits together, be sure to let it dry to the point that if you tap it with your finger, the glue sticks to the surface rather than your finger. Also, apply enough pressure that the foam makes contact with the plastic everywhere. Sticking a block to a slightly curved surface requires a surprising amount of force.

Also, I always make sure to clear out the tubes by spraying while holding the can upsidedown until it clears. I don't know if this actually makes it work better, I was just always taught to do that.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #10
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
any rubber cement / contact cement / weldwood.... works best.. There is always a problem as polyethelyne really dosent accept any glues.... but rubber cement dosent seem to much care about that. forget about epoxies all together.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote