Old 03-24-2014   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
Thats a good point. Carbon fiber IS stiffer and stronger so it takes less of it to have the same strength / stiffness. Fiberglass blades may have an extra layer or two of fabric compared to carbon blades, so I could see how it is possible for them to wear at the same rate. Would be a cool test. I'm sure werner has data about this....?
I'm not a materials scientist, but the term "carbon" is pretty generic. As far as I know it merely means that it's some weave of fibers that are composed largely of carbon, but most everybody has their own proprietary weaves. In the bike industry for instance, carbon weaves tend to have increased damping properties that make for a smoother ride than most aluminum bikes while allowing for stiffer properties in sheering directions.

Anyway, it's just purely from experience that swapping between a fiberglass and carbon blade, the carbon blades feel like they are much stiffer. If you look at the AT website, they clearly state their paddle properties that show that their carbon paddles are stiffer than their fiberglass blades. I swear I've seen Werner advertise the same, though I can't remember where I read it.

Also, based on field testing, it's been pretty much universally accepted from every paddler I know that carbon blades are more abrasion resistant. You can usually see it from stacking 6 paddles together on the shuttle and look at the blade sizes.

That's why I'm so surprised to hear this. Werner should be more transparent in their advertising about their material properties and testing.

Despite bad mouthing them for the past 8 years, I'm going with AT for my next paddle for the very reason that they're being transparent about their testing and making materials innovations. If it snaps and/or leaks in the first year, then I guess I'll go back to Werner and start bad mouthing AT again.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
"Each of our paddles is built by hand in Sultan Washington, USA with over 70 people building, assembling and expediting your paddle through our factory. The pride we have for our work shows in each and every paddle and can be felt by you as you enjoy your time on the water.
Werner Paddles is the worlds largest custom paddle manufacturer. Looking for a special fit or paddle configuration? Give us a call and we can tell you what is possible. A custom built Werner paddle takes just five days from the time the order is received to the time it ships.
All Werner blades are carefully hand crafted using a pressure molding process of high quality fiberglass or carbon weave materials and epoxy resin or injected molded with fiberglass or carbon reinforced nylon. Our pressure molding process has proven superior to other processes in achieving the right balance between light weight and durability while injection molding offers a value priced paddle recognized for its light swing weight, performance and smooth, stable stroke.
Werner’s commitment to be technically innovative has allowed us to be the only paddle company to manufacture its own shaft in-house. We’ve developed proprietary processes using high quality carbon fiber or fiberglass and epoxy resins, giving us a high strength to weight ratio for the varying demands of paddling whether you are touring, SUPing, whitewater paddling, canoeing, rafting, or outrigger paddling."
Pretty transparent brother

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote