Old 07-25-2010   #1
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Getting into paddling-looking for a first boat!

Hi all! I'm super excited to get into some whitewater kayaking. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on what i'm looking for in a boat. I'm 5'5, 120 pds. Looking for a fun boat for class 2 and eventually 3 rapids. I'd like to experiment with freestyle a little. Looking for a used boat for sure.
Any advice is appreciated!

6xlgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #2
Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a g force 6.1. Great beginner play boat. I'm 5'6 150 and fresh outta surgery. I would let her be yours for 325 including a barely used skirt. I got it 3 yrs ago to learn with. All people I talked about it said it would be great to learn with. Good luck!! Didn't realize your out east my boat is in CO

1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #3
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Sounds Great!

I would take you up on your offer for sure! The only problem is shipping would probably be super pricey.
Any ideas?
6xlgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #4
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I started out the same way 5 years ago, but now I spend all my time boating if there is water within a reasonable drive from home (reasonable depends on how many days I have off work).
I would recommend a demo program if you can find one. It can quickly give you an idea of what might work or definently won't work. Also, some instruction programs have multiple boat styles/models so you could learn and try out several boats. Personally, I tried different playboats for a while, couldnt get the hang of all the nuances, switched to a bigger creek/river runner and had great progression to harder rapids. Good luck and paddle safe!
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

don't know that you can't find a boat a little closer to home but if you can't, i just had a wavesport ez shipped from decatur, illinois to durango, colorado on a greyhound bus for $45. it seems there may be a length limit of 80", i eased by that with an inch to spare. just an option if you can't find one closer to where you live.
You deserve a good paddling!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Not trying to get rid of you, but you can find help and possibly used boats a lot closer to you on the Northeast Paddler's Message Board: Northeast Paddlers Message Board: Forum.

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote