Old 11-26-2011   #1
Eyota, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2009
Fun 1 or Fun 1.5

My daughter weighs 63lbs. She has been on the water some and looks to be a go getter so performance is important as far as gettingn intob some rolling technique ect. I see the optimum weight for the fun 1 is 70lbs, but affraid she would grow out of it too fast. On other hand the 1.5 has range from 60-120 but optimum is 80lbs, do you think that would be too big for her to control? looking for advice

solopilot_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #2
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
My son in now 5' and 95 pounds. He just grew out of his Fun 1. Fortunately I have a second child that will fit into it.

cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Fun1.5 or other

My 2 cents: Go with something other than the Fun1 - unless you're only looking for an easy to roll pool boat. Suggestions would be: JK SideKick, WS Fuse 35, LL Remix 49, or a Fun1.5.

The Fun1 will be the easiest to roll in the pool, but any of the other boats will handle better on the river. The stern of the Fun1 (and Fun1.5 and all original classic Funs) is "grabby", so the closer your child is to the "optimal" weight, the less forgiving the boat will be on the water.

The Fuse35 is noticeably more difficult to roll for beginners but it's wider, more balanced, and more stable in the river. The SideKick is also a much better river runner than the Fun1/1.5.

This summer after plenty of trial and error I sold my boys' Fun1 and Fun1.5 and they now use the Fuse35 and SideKick instead. The Fun1 was great when they were little (2-5) in the pool/lake, but not as much now that my youngest boy is 6 and weights in around 65 lbs.

I had a Fun1 for years - it was mainly used in the pool and lake and was great for little kids (2-5 yrs) - but when my six year old took it down the local class II/III river this summer (sans skirt) he swam way too much.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #4
Eyota, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey guys thanks a lot for the advice. I have never even explored other options such as the sidekick and fuse ect....the trick now seems to find a used one they seem to be more scarce but than again to save some pennies and buy a knew one would still be worth it to get my daught running the rivers with me!
solopilot_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
And yet another option would be a IK. Aire makes a small IK called the TomCat LV. It's small enough for kids to control and paddle comfortably with the forgiveness / stability of an IK. Google it and you can likely find it on sale, or a demo. My 6 and 8 yo boys have had a blast in the one we have. It's been much easier for them to paddle vs. a Aire Force IK.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have a Fun1.5 and a Star sitting in my storage unit, Durango Colorado. My kids are moving to the East Coast with the ex, I was considering putting boats on Craig's list.

loren_w is offline   Reply With Quote