Old 02-24-2012   #1
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Full face helmets?

Looking at either a Shred ready or a Cascade. What are some pros and cons of each?

Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #2
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I've owned both and the Shed Ready in my opinion is the better helmet; build, fit, coverage, it stays put and it's warmer and most importantly you don't feel the hits as much.
The down side on the shred ready is I bet it's a tight fit if you have a big noggin and nose protection is missing...if you take that 1 in a million rock hits (or more likely a paddle) that will find it's way through the face opening
The Cascade is cheaper and the wire cage ones do offer better nose protection
My friend has a Sweet and if you got the bucks it seems like the way to comfy in comparison to the shred ready

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #3
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I second the Sweet, if you have the spare cash. It's bomber, super comfy and warm.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #4
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
save your money shop deals online, and get a sweet best purchase you will make. I wonder why this thread keeps showing up Sweet is the best pay the extra dough, and protect your self. I picked up mine new for $225
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #5
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I think these threads keep popping up because we like to argue about boating in the off season. They also exist because not everyone is the same, and not everyone knows everything. That's why we talk about it.

The fact that the Sweet doesn't protect you from a paddle to the nose is worth talking about. No helmet is perfect.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #6
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm not convinced the sweet is a better helmet in terms of protection. I think it's splitting hairs when comparing protection provided by well fitting name brand companies with integrated face protection. Considering the price gap to the sweet it's definitely worth considering other options. Some hits you won't survive no matter what and some hits any helmet will protect you. The rest fall into some grey area where sometimes it's better to have a helmet deform and break so your brain doesn't bounce in your skull. That's when you want softer materials that deform. Other times it's a very pointed impact but not much force behind it. That's when you want shell strength over compression. You pay a lot of money for the materials so your helmet shell doesn't ever compress with the sweet sometimes that's not the best option to avoid injury.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #7
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
WRSI has a full face coming out this spring that should be considered in the line up too

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote