Old 05-21-2011   #11
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My sticker peeled off in little bitty bitty bits. Gharrrrrr - the RAGE!!!

teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #12
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Avatard
I've got a captains box doesn't fit in my boat anymore, if anyone wants it then pm me please. I'm near Portland
Ok I've got three interested I'll pm them back. Luckily the first one said he will be in Portland

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #13
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I've had mine for 3 years now. I replace the outer foam with a thicker rubber strip . Overkill but what the hell. Great deal for the price
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
I've also had one now for a few years and don't really have any complaints, especially considering that I picked up one of his "seconds" that was re-certified from his Ebay store. Really can't argue with the value for that price. Not a bad option to look into if you're looking to get into one on a budget.

I see some others have replaced the lid gasket, what products have you used for this?
dirtyoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #15
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I received the box the day before a long river trip. In my hast to pack it for the next day, I stripped the sticker, glued on some foam and loaded in the truck.
Got on the trip, and the more I looked at it, I realized some things that.....well, didn't make me too happy with my purchase, but it was too late, I had altered the box and couldn't exchange it.
I'm sure Frontier Play would have exchanged it for me had I not altered it but here are somethings I noted about the box that I will have to live with.
Issue 1: The bottom of the box was welded kinda funky and off a little so it doesn't sit flat on the floor, it rocks back and forth. Seems one of the corners is shorter than the rest. The box is not bent, just welded slightly off with .25 inch gap on level floor on front right corner.
Issue 2: The right locking hatch device was installed too high, so the tensioner dial doesn't tighten the lid to the box on that side. My fix is that I had to go to the hardware store and buy thicker foam to put tension on the latch to make it hold and water tight.
Issue 3: The original foam seal, was old, slightly dry rotted in the front right corner and had lost its ability to "spring back". All in all, old and not very usable foam seal. By old, I mean it was probably older stock and had been compressed for too long without exercising the foam. Now it is permanently indented.
Issue 4: The screws for the latches and two other on the handles are metal flush screws instead of rounded metal cap screws. Had this box been made of wood it would be ok, but the screw heads stick out on the outside of the box. It almost seems as if they ran out of the smooth cap screws and threw some wood flush mount screws that "don't flush mount".
Pros: the thickness of the aluminum is nice and durable, unfortunately the fabrication of this box is kinda "cheap".
All in all, I wouldn't buy this box again because of its cheap assembly and lack of "attention to detail" in the aluminum fabrication. I would use it as a storage box for the back of my truck, but I won't trust my gear to it in a river.

DISCLAIMER: Want to make sure that you all know I didn't contact Frontier Play about my issues, so I didn't give them the chance to make repairs or exchanges, but this was due to my quick modification I knew I couldn't exchange it.
I've purchased things from Frontier Play and have been very pleased with their equipment and customer service in the past.

If you have an eye for details and are particular about quality, I think this box is not for you and you should check out some of the more expensive ones found at other on line retailers. If you are looking for something cheap quick and your on a budget, then this box is for you.

Hope this helps future buyers make the right decision.

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #16
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
A friend and I each ordered a box and have both been satisfied. I flipped in Upset and it stayed dry inside.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #17
Bonedale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Great price, only thing not happy with is latches are showing rust. It's made for water, don't feel like this should be an issue
kentuckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #18
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
All good but the latches

I got 2 of the bigger boxes and 2 captains boxes, after around 25 days on the river all of the latches are rusting and half no longer function. Rather than replace with new latches from Frontier (I'm afraid they would just rust again) I opted to replace with latches from NRS which I believe are much better quality. My other complaint about the latches is that they have a loop that sticks out, this makes it so you can put a lock on the box. I've never wanted to lock my boxes, and the down side is that this narrow loop sticks out and if you use it for a passenger seat as I do, my passengers kept cutting their legs on it. I ended up cutting the loops off and filing them down.

They are made from thinner sheets of aluminum, so I majorly reinforce the seat I attached to one of the boxes, without the reinforcement it felt like it was going to rip the seat off of the box. Also, the boxes probably will not last quite as long as the thinner aluminum isn't as durable.

Otherwise they have been great, and for the price I can't really complain. I guess you get what you pay for. If you do a trip or two a year I'm sure they will last a long time (other than the latches). For commercial or for those lucky enough to spend weeks a year on the river, it may be better to invest in heavier duty boxes.

That's my 2
cdwightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #19
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
here's some latches

this place has a good selection of rotary draw latches

K2/K3/K4/K5 - Rotary Draw latches | Southco=

you may be able to have a local hardware store order for you also

more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote