Old 07-20-2010   #1
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Front Storage in Super Hero

Anybody know how to access the front storage space in front of the Super Hero bulkheads? I've been told it is an easy hinge, but can't for the life of me figure out how to release it to pack the front of the boat out.

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Couple differnt versions. The newest ones just slide back towards you and click off. The original ones are aluminum and have hinges in the middle allowing the top half to fold towards you.

Or you may have demo like mine which has neither. Pretty much SOL. you can pack loose items in an oversize, but thin and slippery dry bag and get about 2 " of clearance over the bulkhead, if you pull it all the way back. Total pain in the a$$, but I was managing to get a small tent over it and a small amount of clothing on the other side.

Did you ever end up with a 4 fun? i am still considring letting mine go.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma

I have a super hero but the space in the bow is so limited I never use it.

My bet is the problem is the foam. On my boat there is a hole in the foam and a drawstring with one of the little push locks to hold the foam in place. Remove the little lock and pull the foam out, then on mine at least just pull the aluminum foot plates back.

hope this helps

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #4
Erie, Colorado
Thanks for the tips - I'll pull it down and look closer tonight, but I think I might be SOL since it was a demo boat. I was thinking more for just packing it out with foam. I have had the pleasure of helping with a couple other super heros full of water get to shore this year and want to ease the burden on anyone chasing my boat. 87 gal is a shit ton of weight in water.

I did pick up a 4 Fun earlier this summer and love it too. Probably taking the 4 fun on my fall westwater trip, but like having the super hero now as my security blanket for harder runs.
Old 07-21-2010   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Since it's pink, there's probably only enough room to keep a couple of wine coolers and some feminine hygiene products anyway....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #6
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
I wouldn't suggest filling it with foam, but maybe a air bladder.

My point is that we have created a design that allows for a hell of a crumple zone if you ever mega piton. Because we have no holes in the shell to attach a foot brace, there is no "one to one" contact to your ankles if you piton. Meaning that the entire Unishock bulkhead will flex forward, as you piton. To the point that it will go to the bow of the boat if need be to save your akles. Filling it with foam will eliminate that feature. May not be super important for you in particular, but it has saved me twice now and I was glad that was there both times.
An air bladder would solve both issues and still flex/fail if indeed you hit that hard..

Regardless if your boat is a demo or not, be sure to check if you have plastic or an aluminum foot brace behind your foam blocks. If "black plastic" then you are stoked. If aluminum, and no obvious hinge, then yes, you are not going to have that feature. The aluminum model with the hinge was very expensive and we didn't use them in demo's.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #7
Erie, Colorado
Gotcha Marty and Josh you are never going to let me live that pink boat down are you?