Mountain Buzz banner

From hero to zen

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  outwash 
#1 ·
So I got a new lg zen and found out it is so much harder to roll than my hero. Any reason why? I figured it would be easier due to being a bigger boat. About me I am 5"11 180/185lbs 34 waist with 10.5 shoe. Help me understand this.

#2 ·
I don't see why a larger boat would translate to being easier to roll. It depends on your roll, but generally it has more to due with width, edges and parting line. What part of the roll are you getting hung up on? Main takeaway would be that it's revealing weaknesses in your roll. I would put more focus on that.

#8 ·
Improve your roll. Perhaps purchasing Kent Ford's "The Kayak Roll" video, and using your own camera to capture your roll technique will help you focus on the weak points of your roll.

A poor carpenter blames his tools.

#9 ·
Zen Rolling

I have a med Zen and I have had boats that are easier to roll and harder to roll. The boat shape does make a difference. But as noted in the other responses - good technique is the key to rolling any boat. For river running, big water surfing and the sort - I really enjoy my Zen.

#10 ·
I'm thinking it might be that you haven't located the set to it's sweet shot for you yet. It does matter with goes a boat performs and rolls. Example: A friend struggled with rolling his Super Hero. I asked him to attend a pool session so I could observe. Sure enough, the boat didn't even feel stable to him just sitting in it and truly resisted rolling smoothly. I observed that his stein was low and I asked what experimenting he had tried with seat position. He looked at me puzzling. I had him get out and we moved the seat a but 2" or something forward. He got in and immediately looked more stable, able tho relax, and had new joy and cofidence just testing stability. Then he gave it a roll. It was easy. But, I thought it still looked like we could ger it better yet. So, after another 1/2" forward it proved almost effortless for him to roll and was so relaxed and stable on edge. You know it carved and performed excellent then too.

#13 ·
It is surprising that the hero is easier since it is so wide. I paddle a hero a good bit but noticed that a mamba was much easier to roll on the first try. Compared to others boats I have paddles here is how roll ability has worked for me: 1 momba, 2-star, 3 Corsica overflow, 4 hero, 5-ezg, 6-rockstar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.