Old 11-07-2011   #21
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
NRS Cat yokes have an 11.5" drop, Universal drop rails are 10" drop, and the sport Cat drop rails are 6" drop.
Avatard, what 120 qt. cooler are you fitting in your 66 in. Cat frame?

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #22
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl
NRS Cat yokes have an 11.5" drop, Universal drop rails are 10" drop, and the sport Cat drop rails are 6" drop.
Avatard, what 120 qt. cooler are you fitting in your 66 in. Cat frame?
Its a yeti 120, i stand corrected however. I've run this and an igloo on my wildcat and maravia tubes (20") but havent tried my ocelots. If you do the math though and ride the cooler atop the drops you have just enough frame to hit the top of the tubes. You can also do it on an extended front of the frame (no drops) as the tubes narrow just a bit. Works best if you make sure your cooler doesnt have any nicks that can abraid

Fwiw i have a custom nrs drop of 9" seems to work with the tubes I'll also be parting with either the wildcat or maravia 12x 20 next spring, if anyone is interested Got too many boats!

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #23
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Another One...

OK, my outer chafer strips go out to 76"-and that's as the tubes curve away a bit. Center to center width is 64" (raft w/21" tubes).

For a single rail frame I'm thinking between 70"- 72" wide. I'm most likely getting it from AAA whose oar stands will put my locks out to about 72"-they don't kick out as much as DRE's.

With 9.5' oars, I figure this should work for roughly 1/3 in, 2/3rds out. I will most likely sit on my drybox, so I'll be fairly low in the boat which should give me decent leverage relative to my 9.5s-as opposed to sitting higher up-which I'm not a big fan of.

Advice learned from similar scenarios?
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #24
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
68-70 sounds right if the center of the tube is 64" and you want to be able to walk around on the chafes

I ran 9.5" on my 72" frame (recommended by dealer for a 14' cat. I found myself shopping for longer oars the next season. However tube diam was a bit larger so the distance to the water at 30 degrees was longer

With 9.5's and 6.5" towers i had to row too close to my neck to hit the water Going to 10' and raising the seat a bit helped

I then changed setup to sit above seat on drybox seems like the oar handles were too low hitting my knees so i went to 8" stands. Still feel like 10' oars are a bit short with my 26.5" Leopard tubes. 10.5 or 11's seem right

What about running a narrow drop bag (ecosafe) in front of your drybox or sitting back on your drybox. Is there some way to mount your oar towers on a crossbar at least to dial in what feels right?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #25
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
On my 14 X 22 Cat, rowing from the NRS seatbar, my 9 ft. oars worked great. Then I switched to a 14 X 24 Cat, and started rowing from a AAA flip seat bracket over a dry box. Then they felt too short. I got 9.5 ft. oars and the length was right, but like slamkal, the 8 in. towers were too short to get the right balance (1/3, 2/3) on the longer oars. Now I have AAA towers, so I can tilt them outboard a little and still have a good height. Perfection !!!!!
The moral of this story for me is to quit tweaking my set-up
Good oars are expensive. I'd advise borrowing some different lengths from someone to try out first before laying out a bunch of money, then regretting your purchase.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote