Old 03-25-2010   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
frame set up?

What are your opinions on where the oars and seat are located in relation to the frame? I see many cats with the seat and oars near the front rather than in the middle. I have an old aire cougar and the frame is set up for the rower near the front. I've only rowed in the middle. Why would somebody want to be near the front?

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #2
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
You'll see it in the NRS catalog. The rationale I've been given is that it is easier to pull out of holes. Personally, I try to have my oars (and weight) centered so I can spin faster. If you have an adjustable frame, play with it and report back your findings.

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #3
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I put my oars dead center. The only reason I could see for putting them more forward is if you were running really light and wanted to put more weight forward to add a little punch for big waves/holes. Still, I'd rather put some passengers up there or more gear and row from the middle. On a small boat I can see it, put the oars a little forward and the weight of your body dead center to keep the front end from riding up, but I've never had a boat where that would mean the difference between going ass over elbows in a wave.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #4
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I put my weight centered and have my oars a bit forward of center, on a cat that is. I've found that where your weight is is more important than where the oars are, as long as the oars are not so far towards the ends of the raft that you can't spin well.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #5
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I build cat frames with the rower forward, passenger(s) back. Given the length of my frames, that puts the rowing seat close to center which gives the boat perfect trim when rowing solo on day/play trips. A passenger gives an aft trim, which I like better than having the tubes nose down.

I also hate having to rubberneck to see past people up front and having them get knocked off a front seat by a wave to land on my feet or in my lap: hard to row. A rear passenger is more protected.

On long trips, I rig an extra gearframe up front and a cooler for the rear seat, which trims nicely.

This is a 15 ft. x 19 inch Jack's Flyer Cat on Deso. Two people, 1 dog, 8 days.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #6
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
I just rearranged my 15.5' raft frame, I put my cooler in the very front followed by my dry box then me which leaves me with a bunch of room behind me to pyramid up a bunch of gear. My oars are just behind center(9") but with more weight up front I'm hoping it will pull me through the holes. Doing the salt next weekend, I'll let you know the outcome.

Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote