Old 03-09-2010   #1
frame question

just bought a new 16foot boat, and need to decide on a frame...soon. this warm weather spell reminds me that river season will be here before we know it.

i've always used NRS frames, but find myself drawn to DRE/AAA double rails. however, i've recognized that i can build an NRS frame by buying components separately that more or less matches the design of a DRE/AAA double rail frame and save a few hundred dollars.

my questions for the masses are...
1. has anyone attached a DRE/AAA SEAT to an NRS frame?
i'm used to sitting low, and am therefore a but apprehensive about the flip seat, but also appreciate the ability to store a cooler or drybox UNDER my seat.
2. if i do this, will the taller oar towers available from NRS be tall enough? they seem to just give an extra 2 inches or so?

any pros/cons are appreciated!

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #2
Parachute, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
1. No idea, I sit low also. The Paco over one of the kitchen tables, flat and frame height.
2. DRE makes a Hollaender set up for the NRS pipe diameter so you can utilize their oar towers at any height you desire.

Just a thought, but unless you need some specific piece from the NRS frame catalog, just move up to the 1.5 schedule 40 pipe that DRE uses. For my DIY double rail I had them make 4 90 bends to my dimension and two swedged bars at reasonable prices. The rest of the pipe I cut and fixed together. I looked all over the internet and found that DRE had the cheapest quoted price for the Hollaender fittings also.

No affiliation with DRE, just have had great service from them. I have tied up a lot of Zach's time with a lot of questions and had sound answers.

Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #3
I had AAA build a seat mount for my NRS frame and then I attached the old NRS seat. Works great. They will build to your needs.

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #4
Also, if you do this just get the oar towers from AAA or DRE. The NRS towers suck. Note if you go up you might also have to get longer oars. In my case I didn't but if they are on the short end you might need to.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
1. Yes, well at least a AAA flip seat bracket. I started out with the NRS seat bar and low-back and liked it but I ended up switching for two reasons. First, I wanted more storage space so I decided on a flip-seat which now sits on top of my cooler. Second, I wanted to sit a little higher than my passengers sitting on top of the dry box in the bow. This has helped my line of sight over their heads instead of having to stand up or look around passengers. Having your cooler under the flip seat is really nice i.e. no unnecessary opening of the cooler and your beer stays well guarded while you are rowing I just use a soft-sided NRS cooler for the day with beer and snacks.

2. When I bought the flip seat bracket from AAA I also bought oar towers that fit the NRS diameter pipe that are tightened with hex screws. These have worked great. I did have to end up putting 1' oar extensions on my 10' Cataract oars so I had a comfortable angle on the oars which you may need to do.

There is obviously pros and cons to every which way you set up your captain seat. Personally the pros of sitting a little higher to get a better vantage point and the added bonus of keeping the cooler from being opened all day long by passengers if the cooler was located elsewhere far out weighs the potential con(s) of not having as low as a center of gravity, etc.

If you can row on other peoples boats that have different set ups and figure out what you are most comfortable with before committing that would be ideal. My experience over the years with this wicked addictive hobby/sport is that any change you make is not cheap so might as well take each setup for a test drive before deciding what you like cause it really is all about personal preference and what you are comfortable with.
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #6
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Geez...I've been rowing NRS towers for years and never knew they sucked. The only towers I ever had an issue with were some old adjustable ones with the set screw. They would loosen after a half day and would have to be readjusted and tightened. What am I missing in the NRS towers?
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #7
Parachute, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I don't think your missing anything. The original post was concerned about his oar towers being to short. IIRC NRS towers are offered in 6" & 8" which might be a bit low for the DRE/AAA seat he also inquired about.
Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #8
I have a double rail DRE frame with a flip seat. The seat height seems a lot lower than the one in a previous post. I also had DRE cobble me a front passenger seat to attach to the double rail. It makes for a real fun ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon 2007-2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	814.1 KB
ID:	2344  
eukwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #9
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
what is the cheapest swivel seat mount
tmcilravy is offline   Reply With Quote