Old 10-04-2012   #1
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Frame ideas

We are going to get a new frame for an Otter or E series NRS boat. Whether it's an E or Otter depends on how much we spend on the frame and how much is in our bank account. We're looking at a 4 bay frame, never paddle raft anymore, have two kids who love to raft 10,11 and like long multi day trips and day trips. We're getting a 15 foot boat. Please give me this feedback:
1. What you could not live without on your frame.
2. What you wish you wouldn't have spent the money on.
3. Who built it for you and your experience with them.

If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #2
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
1. Minimum of 4 bays & some sort of shade attachment (bimini or umbrella)
2. Could do without the double rail & diamond plated extras to save on weight and money.
3. DRE, but I baught a complete used package so technically they didn't build it for me.

Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #3
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
My frame is welded made locally by American Whitewater, the frame builder is doing it on his own these days. Dry boxes are essential, I like my seat mounted on the rear box good to make the seat adjustable. My rear box is smaller so I can fit a water jug on each side nice to have a good place for them. Umbrella or shade holder is essential. I have a double rail system which I like. I have no plating but I have trays on my double rails in front for mounting amo boxes so they are easy to access. Skip the plating if you have to cut costs. Some type of solid cooler cradle is much better than straps, so there is no cooler rotation. I carry 2 dry bags in my rowers compartment; I had to do a stretch version of the frame, that really helps to maximize gear space and keeps your load low. I am a big fan of 5 gal paint buckets with o-ring lids they are cheap, light, and quite dry. When you're done they are great trash baskets. I like them better than big rocket boxes.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote