Old 01-31-2010   #11
Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk

My experience says find a pair of Payette's. I've had my pair for several months of use(I abuse them more than a redheaded step-child). Never had traction problems but then again I dont try and swing-dance on slickrock either. Always feels solid I don't worry about loosing a boot in strong currents. Super comfy inside my boat and during land travels it has enough support to do SOME hiking(be sure to have a pair of solid hiking boots if you want to walk more than 3 miles...). They dry quickly. The drain holes in this boot are perfectly placed to be easily covered by the hands of those that the river deemed necessary to consume beer out of said boot.

As far as ankle support and arch support; remember its a glorified neoprene and rubber sock.

My personal experiences with Teva has led me to stay far away from them. Good Ideas on paper but tevas have gremlins sewn in them at the factory. Absolute crap. They completely decompose in 2-3 months.

I have never tried NRS booties due to the current awesomeness of my payettes.

Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My personally experience with the NRS Attack is that they suck. Their traction is poor and they fall apart quickly. Unless there has been a major overhaul in the last couple of years I'd stay away.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a shoe with good traction but takes up less room than a tennis shoe? I've experimented with putting a tennis shoe into my creekboat and even with no pillar it's too tight a fit to be comfortable. I'd prefer something kind of in between a NRS Attack type of shoe and a full on tennis shoe. It seems to me like the Five Ten options may have bomber grip but are going to be at least as large as a tennis shoe - same with the Teva Avator? I could probably live with something like the NRS Attack if it actually had good grip on rocks but the Payette doesn't excite me.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #13
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
White water shoes are allways a delima, nothing is going to hold up for long. I have seen keens and nrs shoes blow up the fastest, 5 10s new shoes look great and have a ton of traction, they are a little bulky and may be hard to fit in your boat, I personally go with Merrell, they have great tread good support and last for a while. I have been on the same shoes scense June, that includes a trip to China, Peru, Argentina, and Chile. Lots of hiking around and also comercial raft guiding on the ark and gauley for 3 months, not bad for any shoe.
Where is Baer ?
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #14
Boozebay Harbor, Maine
Originally Posted by twitch View Post
There's a new piece that KEEN is launching this Spring that is perfect for rafting. It's called the Hydro Guide and is a great compromise between rugged platform and open air sandal design + toe protection. Should you want to keep your feet a little warmer then slip on a neoprene sock and away you go.
Hooray for bringing back the Zerrasport in one form or another. I guess I can stop buying and destroying Newports then. But isn't that the same sole as the Hood River bootie that is somewhat despised?
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #15
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I will have to get the new KEEN Hydroguides. They look awesome!

But, I'm still wondering if it's best to just get a neoprene sock to go under or get something else entirely different to keep my footsies warm.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #16
OK.. I do work for Merrell so use this information as you wish. I have used the Nike Tokatee for years in my playboat, and I use the merrell Waterpro series in my creek boat and while rafting. The new version for 2010 is the waterpro Tawas. Full synthetic, upper, and the lace system is very solid. These will not come off your feet. The outsole is pretty sticky and Sipped for extra traction. Although I have yet to use anything that magically sticks to mossy rocks. I still slip in my studded felt soled fly fishing booties.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #17
North Bend, Washington
Still looking at keeping the feet warm (although thus far I like the look of the Merrils best). Any thoughts on the NRS ATB Wetshoe? It looks sturdier than the Attack but not as bulky as the other choices. A friend says he hates his KEEN Payettes because he can feel every little rock. Not what I'm hoping for.

I need to order soon- taking a SRT course next month....
Old 02-12-2010   #18
Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2005
I had the Keen Payettes for only 4 months then the sole split right down the middle for no reason.
shua30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #19
North Bend, Washington
Ordered the KEEN Hood River. Hopefully it'll be just what I need.
Old 08-28-2010   #20
New York, New York
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Airborne2504 View Post
I just recently picked up a pair of the Keen Payettes, but have only used them in the pool so far in my kayak. They're comfortable, have good ankle support.
Agree! There more comfortable to used compared to other brands.

-- Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward. ~Soren Kierkegaad
Brooks Addiction
mistyGreen2 is offline   Reply With Quote