Mountain Buzz banner

Foot placement in River Runner

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bystander 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm outfitting a WW kayak for the first time, and its a little frustrating. I may be trying to accomplish the impossible. Its a Pyranha Burn 3 with the Connect C4S seating system.

I'm guessing the best position for your feet on the footrest is pointing outwards. Kind of at 10 and 2. My main question is do you guys have your feet fully flat on the rest? I can't seem to accomplish this without it screwing up another position.. Ex. thigh brace position. It feels more comfortable to have my heels off the footrest slightly. Just don't want to keep it like that if its bad practice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

#2 ·
You might want to try having your heels resting on the boat bottom and the balls of your feet on the footrest. Once you find the most comfortable position, I've glued small (1 or 2 inch) foam (closed cell/minicell) blocks to the bottom of the boat for heels to push against. You don't want 'em too tall because if you're paddling flatwater - as opposed to being braced for whitewater - you might find it relaxing/more comfortable to slide heels over the blocks and take foot entirely off footpeg just to try a different position. The older you get, the quicker you'll cramp... just to let you know what's in store.

#4 ·
As far as the direction your feet should point, they should be natural to what ever direction they point when your knees are when pressed against the side of the boat, or foam on the side of the boat. Your feet will rest on the bottom of the boat. And many people advise to place a bulkhead on top of the foot rests in the Burn, so your feet cannot slide over or under the pegs when you piton. The outfitting comes with 1 or 2 bulkheads to work with. The lack of doing that has caused a lot of broken angles when you piton hard, which will cause your feet to jam above the pegs. Of course you probably won't be in that position until you are on class 5 water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.