Foot placement - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2016   #1

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 16
Foot placement

Hey guys I can't seem to find anything online about this. With your thighs under the brace what position should your feet be in?
Pointing outward \ / at 10 and 2 (clock)? Also are your feet flat against the rest? I noticed the balls of my feet weren't touching, so I was more tiptoed. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

A7X311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
A lot depends on the boat and how big your feet are. General rule is you do want good contact points at the back band, hips, thigh hooks, and feet. If you are tiptoeing to touch the bulkhead I would suggest moving it up. Have large feet and the V is how I normally end up in my boats.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
A lot depends on the boat and how big your feet are. General rule is you do want good contact points at the back band, hips, thigh hooks, and feet. If you are tiptoeing to touch the bulkhead I would suggest moving it up. Have large feet and the V is how I normally end up in my boats.

Sorry not tiptoeing like I can't reach, but more like the angle of my foot. Feels uncomfortable to bring my heels down to the foot rest

Old 09-22-2016   #4

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X311 View Post
Sorry not tiptoeing like I can't reach, but more like the angle of my foot. Feels uncomfortable to bring my heels down to the foot rest

What are you wearing for footwear? And what size/type of kayak? Whats the outfitting for your feet?

One reason I like creekers and river runners is because I can wear shoes with a decent sole (just old running shoes; I suppose I should get some river shoes someday). My heels used to get sore if I wore thinner neoprene, or even the thicker neoprene booties (similar to NRS Men's Paddle Wetshoes, but an older model). I like having a running shoe sole under my heel.
Nowadays I also wear the water resistant Foot Leveler orthotics in my river shoes. They really help my arches and knees, especially when carrying a creeker for any distance.
I like some foam on the foot brace, like the standard layer that comes with LL Remix 79. That, plus a running shoe sole, really helps if you piton, as well as general comfort (doesn't help the heel tho, more of the underfoot comfort). The Jackson bulkhead is the best I have used for piton cushion; heavy though.
SYOTR!
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasatchbill View Post
What are you wearing for footwear? And what size/type of kayak? Whats the outfitting for your feet?

One reason I like creekers and river runners is because I can wear shoes with a decent sole (just old running shoes; I suppose I should get some river shoes someday). My heels used to get sore if I wore thinner neoprene, or even the thicker neoprene booties (similar to NRS Men's Paddle Wetshoes, but an older model). I like having a running shoe sole under my heel.

Nowadays I also wear the water resistant Foot Leveler orthotics in my river shoes. They really help my arches and knees, especially when carrying a creeker for any distance.

I like some foam on the foot brace, like the standard layer that comes with LL Remix 79. That, plus a running shoe sole, really helps if you piton, as well as general comfort (doesn't help the heel tho, more of the underfoot comfort). The Jackson bulkhead is the best I have used for piton cushion; heavy though.

SYOTR!

Hey the footing issue was in a Jackson Zen, but I just bought a Pyranha Burn 3. If I extended the footrest my knees wouldn't be tightly tucked it. If I brought it closer my feet wouldn't sit flat. Maybe I'm just not very flexible

Old 09-22-2016   #6

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
If you're using the kayak on a snow covered hill, I suggest your feet remain outside the kayak for quick ejection if needed, along with some additional steering capabilities. Winter boots are also recommended in this situation.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote