Old 12-19-2009   #11
Groveland, California
I have never seen one of these foot loop setups in person, so I may be out there with this idea....but could you use the front half of a waterski binding (or similar)? It could mount on a flat plate to push against, you could push your toes to the bottom without fear of going through and getting trapped, it would be real comfy for the top of your feet, very secure (no play between your foot and frame) and if anything severe happened, your foot would deform the material and slip out without fear of injury (to your foot at least.)

(The front half only....I imagine it would be a little scary to have your heel confined also!)

Or a rear one, if you were absolutely sure your foot couldn't push through.

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
can't say if I will leave a gap in the middle or not. I know I can adjust it so me feet (size 13) won't slip through, but I have a fear of someone else rowing my boat with smaller feet and having a potential entrapment issue.
Foot size is the clincher. Jeff can hardly get his foot in the brace since his feet are much bigger than mine. The more I think about it (lovin these posts!), the more I think I should bug Dave/Madcatr to make something to mimic the cat frame, that I can attach to the raft frame, and have it higher to better line up with the geometry of sitting on the cooler. I'd say it's easier for Jeff to row my cat frame than the raft frame, since our legs aren't that much different in length, yet our feet size (especially volume) are. He has no problem hopping onto the cat, but that raft foot loop just doesn't work for him, I guess we're fortunate it's the other way around than what you mention.

I should have looked at what Dave had on his raft on Labor Day, but I didn't. Maybe a phone call is in order.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote