Mountain Buzz banner

Fly Rod Holders for fishing frame?

27K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  GOTY2011 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best method for protecting assembled rods while they are not in use. Does anyone have rod holders on their frame?

I've seen the ones riverboat works make and I like that design. Just wondering if anyone else has a proven design?

Thanks

#2 ·
rod holder

We are rigging some up with PVP. A couple of holes at the base to allow for a very small bungee to hold the reel snug. My buddy spoke of using flexible pipe to fit on the end of the pvc to curve the tip of the rod around the front of the raft somewhat. I have a peice of 3 inch diameter Bamboo I want to make a rod holder out of. Let me know if you come across any good ideas.

#4 ·
I think I will make mine out of gray PVC conduit. I'll heat it with a heat gun and bend it to match the contour of the raft, then bolt it to the frame with u-bolts. I'll let you know how it works when I'm finished.

Too bad it's impossible to make integrated ones like the nicer drift boats have-- that would be the ticket!!

#5 ·
rod holder

i got some super cheap rod holders at walmart. they are plastic with foam cradles. i used to zip tie them to my frame until the last time i fished and i was out of zip ties. i used black tape and they were solid. i think they are made for hard boats but work great for my raft and are easy to get on and off.

#6 ·
pvc conduit here too. I cut a little notch in the end for the reel to slide into then with the bungee so the handle end isn't sticking out of the tube. if you get fatter pipe you can even make one where you can put a rod into each end so the rods are opposing in the same tube. if you want to get really fancy cut a slit down one side and put a divider in it. I also seen guys cut a trench down most of the tube so they can actually put it in and take it out while in the boat. otherwise you have to stop which is no big deal. I just strap mine to the frame.

#9 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I decided to go the cheap route for now and built them out of pvc conduit. Went out yesterday and they were flawless. Good protection for $15 and no more hanging rods over the stern hoping they don't get broken. Now the only challenge is finding a better way to attach them to the frame (other than zip ties, bungees, tape, etc.).

I'm thinking of making a bracket similar to a U-bolt because I still want to be able to remove them if I'm not fishing. Any other ideas?

#10 ·
I've been using 1.5" pvc for a few years -strapped to the frame. I have a straight 76" piece that runs along the side tubes, then glued on 22.5 degree elbow and 2' section so it follows the contour of the raft. Make sure you have something to hold it in near the reel so it won't get flushed out of the tubes when you go thru rapids. I know a guy who lost 3 nice rods in the Green River because he didn't have them secured in the tubes.

I know you already have it figured out, but newbies may appreciate another post.

#12 ·
I use PVC and modeled it after the riverboatworks ones. 3/4" wide slot and leave about 2' at the tip and 3" at the butt intact. I use a velcro strap to secure the rod in the tube at the reel and then I cut two perpendicular slots about 3/4" apart from each other at the tip and butt of the holder. Thread a strap through those and attach to the frame.

#14 ·
I really like the ones from Riverboat Works in Salida, CO.....had em for about 5 years....both the long tube ones and the short holders, have both......they are the best that I've come across....I don't like the DownRiver Equipment ones attachments hardware (though their aluminum tubes are better than PVC) at all (though most of their other stuff is great)....only problem is you have to tap and screw into your frame....initially I was paranoid about this but no problems at all they are bomber......only problem with PVC tubes is it warps if you keep it permanently on the boat in the sun......Chet

#17 ·
The #1 cause of rod breakage on the boat is a fully-assembled rod, so I use an Orvis Safe Passage rod case that lashes to my oar tower with a couple of 2' web straps. I guided for 10 years with this set-up and never had a breakage with extra rod storage. Two 9' rods break down into the top two sections, then the butt sections.

The PVC tubing is good but the first time they get stepped on, it's over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.