Fluid Solo Cracked Outfitting Solution - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2016   #1

Birmingham, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2016
Fluid Solo Cracked Outfitting Solution

Hey guys, this is my first post in this forum so redirect me if this is the wrong place for this post. Also, I'm in the process of buying my first WW boat, so forgive any ignorance that may seem like common sense to a more experienced paddler. :/

Anyway, I paddled a Fluid Solo L recently and am looking to buy it used from the guy. I loved how the boat handled, however there were some issues with the outfitting. I was hoping I could get some perspective on if this boat can be finessed back into shape.

The boat has some river rash from general use and some minor gouges, but nothing major is wrong with the plastic of the hull itself.

The first issue was the hip pads. There were a little tight and I was wondering if there were any hip pads I should look out for or avoid for replacements for this model kayak. This is a minor inconvenience, but I'm guessing I can configure this component. Any recommendations for a fix would be greatly appreciated. They are definitely uncomfortable, but I'm guessing about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of space would help drastically on either side, but still let the fitting be snug.

The second, and much more serious issue, is what LOOKED like a crack in the outfitting's plastic above the right hip pad. Specifically, the plastic that the hip pad's straps are secured to. One of the previous owners has it duct taped. What I'm wondering, is there a fix for this at all, or would it require a whole new outfitting?

If the outfitting is unfixable, how much might it decrease the value of the boat (relatively speaking, from the $500 he wants for it).

Again, thanks for your help!

cmdzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #2
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Buy other hip pads

Just buy some replacement hip pads from another company and velcro/strap them into place. Cheap Fix Hip Pad Kit - Jackson Kayak Store
Old 07-12-2016   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Yes as don suggests replacing the hip pads with something more adjustable will get you where you need to be.

Don't be afraid to get custom with your boat for a good fit. Years ago mini cell foam and a shaper was how people fit their boats. Now a days people get stuck on factory outfitting and don't consider other options.

As far as fixing the crack there are a few options here as well, you could weld it with a heat gun and a butter knife.

Heat the plastic and smear it around until it bonds. A better option would be to get some steel window screen and a soldering iron and melt the screen into the crack on both sides then cover it with tape. I will try to find a video for you now.

Offer him 400$ for the boat, that should get you both where you need to be.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Here you go. https://youtu.be/pmTWCzJbNBw
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
for 400+ id try my hardest to find a boat in tacked
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #6

Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper42 View Post
for 400+ id try my hardest to find a boat in tacked
Given its condition, what would you offer for it?
Old 07-13-2016   #7

Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
Fantastic. That looks like it would do the trick! Thanks!