floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 12-05-2011   #21

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I would think you could cut a stove pipe hole in the top with some stratigically placed holes drilled around the whole perimeter and a good metal blade on a jig saw. Any square cut is easily done with a hand held grinder with cutting disk. I don't particularly see where welding is at all necessary unless you were going to weld on some permanent legs or some sort of brackets for removable legs. Steel pop rivets would work pretty well for attaching anything interesting too

shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #22

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
My idea is to make them to where it will break down completely, and be completely self contained. Also by cost effective I think keeping the total price for the buyer to be under $150. The ammo can range from $15 to $40 so the rest would be in angle iron, expanded metal, paint, welding time, and consumables. With the right idea you could build some that were better than the ones offered for sale. Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy one from someone that can build it because the price you will pay for a bunch of material that you most of it you will not use. Overall keeping it under $150 with shipping, and every thing would be ideal.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #23

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
My canvas Springbar tent has a fabric stovepipe jack sewn in, with a tie-down flap. I've also seen 2-piece steel jacks, basically diamond shaped with the pipe hole centered and pins or bolts at the side points to spread the canvas (you cut a slit and secure the ends with stitching).

Here's a stove jack accessory from a maker of excellent tent stoves:

Canvas Tent Accessories, Wall Tent Accessories
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #24

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just built myself a wood stove and sewed a tipi out of silnylon for our December Grand Canyon trip. It worked out like a champ- t-shirt/shorts weather inside, and pretty efficient in terms of fuel. 15-20 minutes set-up for both tipi and stove. Stove legs are threaded rod with a nut on the outside and idside of the box. stovepipe is .005" stainless steel shim stock, 100"x12". Rolls up to go inside the 20mm box. Used an empty bernzomatic cylinder cut in half with top and bottom removed to stiffen each end of the stovepipe. Total cost was around $200 in materials for the tipi, maybe less because I have a ton of leftover fabric. Stove cost was around $70 for materials. Here's a pic of the stove. Photo of the outside coming.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #25

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Stovepipe Woodstove

Cheap, easy to build and very effective.

Build your wood stove out of common galvanized stove pipe (choose your diameter for what you need in a stove), buy and install two end caps. In one end cap, cut a door and make an adjustable vent and on the top of your stove cut a hole for your wood stove's stovepipe. Get fancy and bend some sheet metal like this l__l flip it over and rivet it to the top of your stove so you can put a pot of water on the stove.

Easy to build with simple tools, super light, and cheap.

Like this...but much cheaper http://www.titaniumgoat.com/files/DSCF0018-s.jpg
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #26

Professional Transient, See above.
Climbdenali- your photos aren't showing up for me. Would you please repost? I'd love to see what you made (for both the stove and the tipi). Did you ever have lots of people in the tipi? Have any issues with condensation on the silnylon? What was the diameter of the tipi?

I love the BD megamids, but I find the newer, lighter ones out of silnylon are much less functional b/c of the condensation issues with such a non-breathable fabric (I can't touch the fabric of the silnylon in the night if it's chilly or my bag gets wet). Curious how the tipi turned out.

Cheers!
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #27

Up North, Oregon
thats cuz you haven't had a sil nylon tipi with a wood stove, no condensation in there!
Old 01-12-2012   #28

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by denachuck View Post
Build your wood stove out of common galvanized stove pipe (choose your diameter for what you need in a stove), buy and install two end caps.
Heating ducts are made of galvanized steel which is not intended for use in stoves or stovepipe. Using galvanized steel pipe for a stove or stovepipe is dangerous. At high temperatures the zinc oxidizes and in the confined space of tent you'll be breathing zinc oxide at a high concentration, which could make you quite sick. (I learned this by experience.)

Use either black steel or stainless steel stovepipe for projects like this.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #29

Professional Transient, See above.
Silnyon tipi

shappa- I'd assume that if the temp was kept up in the tipi all night (if people slept in it) that it would be too warm for condensation. However, this leads to all my questions about how big of a tipi, how many people, and any other pertinent information (outside temp?). Wouldn't someone have to stoke the fire every few hours?

I've slept in a 16ft tipi a few times in the winter, and found that it is an art (that I don't have) to keep the temp somewhat regulated. Granted, these were with an open campfire as opposed to a wood burning stove. I'd never considered making one out silnylon.

Just looking for more info/details.

Cheers!
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #30

Up North, Oregon
on my floorless tent MSR twin brother (6'wide, 14'long, 6'tall) with two large men inside at temps in the upper teens at night, before I go to bed I have a kindling bundle and some good wood ready to go by the knico packer stove, right about the time I have to take a pee in the middle of the night, I get the fire going again. That takes the chill and condensation off until its time to get up and put on the coffee.