Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 04-22-2012   #51
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978

Go to your spa/pool supply store and get some spa clarifier. It's usually a blue liquid. Spa-Klear is one brand. I fill an 8 oz bottle with floc, put a squirt from this bottle into another 8 oz squirt bottle, fill with water and shake. Then divide this diluted floc into your settling buckets, let sit. I've built my own river water filters that cost about 8-10% of a Katadyn, and work as well, plus pump with about 10% of the effort of a Katadyn.

f4wdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #52
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The spa chemical f4wdriver talks about is intended for use in spas, not for human consumption. That means there can be all kinds of additives that are ok through the pathway of dermal absorption, but never tested for ingestion.

Any chemical you intend to consume/ingest should be NSF (National Sanitary Foundation) approved for use in potable water to insure it's safe. If you choose to use something not intended for consumption, do so with knowledge and at your own risk. And disclose to the people with you who would also consume so they can make their own choice. Arguably, using chemicals untested for human consumption is no better than drinking untreated water in terms of health effects.

Many sources of Alum are FDA approved as a food additive and/or NSF approved. I know what I'll use......

cataraftbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #53
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Agreed. Even if the clarifier says its active ingredient is aluminum sulphate or whatever alum is, there can be unspecified " inert" ingredients. Unless all that stuff flocculates to the bottom and/or gets trapped in the filter then i'd avoid it. I'm nervous enough of Anything containing aluminum

Still looking for someone with chitosan experience or comments. Of course allergies to shellfish can be an issue as well as acquiring it in quantities larger than GNC sells

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote